Sigma to release 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm

Sigma is executing some aggressive moves. Whatever their long term goals are, they seem to have a clear game plan. I think their mount conversion service was a well played move to protect their future. Not only does it give the heavily invested consumers the option to switch body brands, it also blocks Nikon/Canon etc from crippling compatibility with 3rd party lenses. The first company to try it is branded evil. And the others pick up business from the backlash and savvy shoppers. They win support from a wide swath of consumers. The game is afoot.

Good news for people who can't afford the Nikon.
Or those who don't feel the need to pay the outrageous prices Nikon charges on some of their lenses.

I can afford the Nikon equivalent, but that doesn't mean i'll get it vs. a comparable 3rd party. I wouldn't have hesitated to choose my Tokina 12-24 f/4 over the Nikon 12-24 f/4, even though I could have afforded the Nikon. Just because it has Nikon on it doesn't necessarily mean it will always be better.

Or those who don't feel the need to pay the outrageous prices Nikon charges on some of their lenses.

I can afford the Nikon equivalent, but that doesn't mean i'll get it vs. a comparable 3rd party. I wouldn't have hesitated to choose my Tokina 12-24 f/4 over the Nikon 12-24 f/4, even though I could have afforded the Nikon. Just because it has Nikon on it doesn't necessarily mean it will always be better.
Some are gems like the 24-120 f/4, 85 f/1.8D and 50 f/1.4D and priced right.
Others well I'll keep my opinions.

Good point, but the big primes, Nikon's are just ridiculous image quality.

Good point, but the big primes, Nikon's are just ridiculous image quality.
I won't disagree...they're simply amazing. If Sigma's recent releases are any indication of what these could be, you'll be seeing another set of great big primes.

I absolutely love every Sigma prime lens I've ever used/owned. And I have lately been thinking about a 300mm lens in the back of my mind. I would love to see these come out soon and see what the prices are... once I obtain my Sigma 35, I might be looking in the 300 direction. So, for me, Nikons for zooms, Sigmas for primes! :tongue:

Interesting and not too soon. The long lens line at Sigma needs an update.

If the rumor is true then we may be seeing a shift in Sigma's approach. With the 300/2.8, 500/4.5, 300-800/5.6, and the 800/5.6 they were alone at that end of the third party market and Nikon's longest was 600mm until recently.

The current 300mm does not match up to Nikon's but this new one might. Sigma primes are getting better and better. Just look at the 180 macro.
The Nikon 300/2.8 is $5900; the Sigma is $4500 (now on sale at $3400). The new one might be pricier than we think.

The 400/2.8 will be a first for them that I'm aware of. While I don't doubt that Sigma might be able to compete with this lens, I'd be surprised, in this economy, to see a radically different price. My guess - $8500.
The current Nikon offering is $9550.

The current 500/4.5 matches up well against the Nikon 500/4 and I expect the new one will too but will have a (completely?) different optical formula IMO.
The Nikon 500/4 is $8580; the Sigma 500/4.5 is $6000 (now on sale for $5000).

The 600mm will be a first too. Will it replace the 800 prime or the 300-800? If so, will it come with a dedicated TC.
The Nikon 600/4 is now $10,300. The Sigma 300-800/5.6 would be its logical competition and is $10,000 (now on sale at $8000).

The Sigma 800/5.6 is $8900 (now on sale at $6600). The new Nikon 800/5.6 is $17,900.

I am saddened to see that the 300-800 is not on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
Like this "The lenses would incorporate Sigma’s new philosophy on quality"...does this mean they're going to look at them before they leave the factory?
:smile:

their last go at a 300/2.8 was a LOL
my new 120-300 goes back next week

they make some great wide primes though

i would never buy another sigma product

Real Name
Colin Carter

I totally agree Randy.

Regarding the sigma 35 prime that everyone raves about, my friends just fell apart and it looks like its about 20 years old rather than 8 months. Now the price is a lot lower here in the uk I thought about getting one to try it against my Nikon 35, but after seeing his I'm not going to bother, my Nikon 35 is tack sharp and still looks brand new after 2 years of use.

Also sigma are going to need to price these big primes a lot lower than the Nikon versions, not just a few hundred dollars lower.

I've decided to get another 300 f2.8, I should never have sold that lens, but it will definitely be the Nikon.

I totally agree Randy.

Regarding the sigma 35 prime that everyone raves about, my friends just fell apart and it looks like its about 20 years old rather than 8 months. Now the price is a lot lower here in the uk I thought about getting one to try it against my Nikon 35, but after seeing his I'm not going to bother, my Nikon 35 is tack sharp and still looks brand new after 2 years of use.

Also sigma are going to need to price these big primes a lot lower than the Nikon versions, not just a few hundred dollars lower.

I've decided to get another 300 f2.8, I should never have sold that lens, but it will definitely be the Nikon.

The only 3rd party glass that I would ever consider would be Zeiss.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom