Sigma vs. Kenko TCs

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by chinesestunna, Jun 18, 2007.

1. I'm thinking about getting some for my Nikon 70-200 VR (I know I know, getting thinking about this combo is a sin, but I'm broke now after getting that lens).

In your opinion, is the Kenko a better match for Nikon or Sigma? I used to own the Sigma ones for Nikon and they've worked pretty well but I only tried it with the matching Sigma 70-200 lens.

Any feedback is appreciated :) Thank you!

2. These are my experiences and I can't or won't predict the results of either brand of TC outside those experiences. Generally, I recommend using the lens maker's TCs where possible.

Sigma
    - The Sigma TCs were designed by Sigma to be "matched" to the 300/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 120-300/2.8, and the 300-800/5.6.
    - They AF with lenses of f4 and faster. AF is spotty and difficult to predict or trust with non-Sigma lenses.
    - The APO TC 1.4 is superb on the 150/2.8 Macro, 120-300/2.8, 300/2.8, 70-200/2.8, and 100-300/4.
    - The APO TC 2.0 is surprisingly good on the 70-200/2.8, the only lens with which I've used it.

Kenko
    - The Kenko Pro 300 series (aka Tamron SP) is made to AF with lenses of f5.6 and faster, making them attractive.
    - The 1.4 version perform quite well on a number of lenses and trial and error is the best way to find out how it performs on your lenses.
    - I found it good on the Sigma 70-200/2.8 (but the Sigma 1.4 is better) and the AF-S Nikkor 300/4.
    - I found it unreliable on the AF Nikkor 180/2.8 and 300/4.
    - I have not tried the Pro 300 2X TC

3. time to save up for Nikon I guess :(

4. lamk

lamk Guest

Sigma teleconvertor will not talk to the nikon zoom properly. The kenko will and report proper focal lenght and aperture. I have a tamron 1.4 aka kenko pro. When I use it with the 105/f2.8vr it will report back to the camera that the focal length is 150mm and the max aperture is f4. Autofocus and vr all work except the autofocus is slower and hunts more. The kenko does not work with sigma, no auto focus and no proper aperture and focal length reported.

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Always try to match up TC brands with your lens, although in the case of AF-D Nikkors your only choice is Kenko.

6. I've always wondered why Nikon never made them for AF-D, then I realized Nikon only wanted you to use these with fast super fast glass like 300mm F2.8 and adove and those went straight from MF to AF-I (which is the same style of mechanism as AF-S) before they put AF-S in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.