Sigma Warranty?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by FM Bob, Aug 28, 2008.

1. FM Bob

FM Bob

Sep 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Today I received the new Sigma 10-20mm lens. Upon unpacking and going through the related materials and paperwork, I see nothing about the 3 year extended warranty which is mentioned on virtually all of the online merchant websites. The only mention on enclosed paperwork is the 1 year warranty. There is a 'warranty card' (white and blue paper) included, which has the serial number of the lens imprinted on it and it matches the SN on the lens. However, even on that there is no mention of the 3 year extended US warranty. Neither is there a card to send in for warranty registration, or any info saying where the lens can be registered with Sigma online. The lens was purchased from an 'authorized Sigma dealer' as indicated on the US Sigma website.

I am confused ... does anyone have any info/input on this?

Thanks ...

Bob

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Where did you buy it from? Perhaps you got a grey market lens?

3. At one point I owned 5 Sigma lenses and had the same problem with 1 or 2 not having the 3 year extended USA warranty although I new they were all USA warranty. Called Sigma and they told me the blue card is USA warranty and you don't need the 3 year card. Just your receipt and the blue card. Also told me no need to register.

4. FM Bob

FM Bob

Sep 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks, Francis and Joe, for replying to my question. The lens was purchased through Amazon.com. At any rate, I also fired off an email to Sigma regarding this and received the following reply (which goes along with what Joe posted) from Sigma Customer Service/Technical Assistance in Ronkonkoma, NY:

"Thank you for choosing Sigma products. There is no need to register the warranty as long as you hang onto the warranty card with the serial number printed on it and the proof of purchase in case you ever need service."

I'm happy/satisfied now.

Bob

5. Hi Bob.

This is very good news for you. Congrats.

Here in Germany, you have to register the lens to get the 3-year-warranty.

In addition to that, it is bound to the buyer, not the lens. That means, if you sell the lens, the second owner has no benefit ...

Seems not very user friendly to me ...

Regards

Mattes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.