Sign of age? My D300....

...has started to underexpose severely out of the blue :eek:

I have it on spot meter and tried matrix now and matrix is doing better sometimes, but for the most part the camera can't seem to expose for the subject very well anymore and decides that the sky is the subject - when focus is clearly on my subject! what the heck is going on?

Not a sign of aging for sure. Matrix is pretty good but keep in mind it bases its reading on different parts of the subject and then using algorithms built into the system, it compensates the exposure. This usually does not fail, according to my experience but your camera could be an exception. Hopefully you have not banged the camera against a hard surface nor have you drop it to the ground.
My humble recommendation would be to have a technician look at it. Little I can tell you about spot metering except that it requires careful metering and interpretation for the best exposure...but you already know that. I do not remember a single instance where any of my digital camera ever had an issue with the meter.
Hope this helps.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Thanks Will .. I've had excellent result with the spot metering before so this has thrown me off a little...hmm.. maybe it's the humidity in the air or something.

Are you sure you don't have some form of exposure compensation or metering adjustment turned on? I use a permanent +2/3 on my center averaging mode.

Also, I find I cannot handle bright sunshine as well as I used to--old age is hell! :biggrin::cool:

Are you sure you don't have some form of exposure compensation or metering adjustment turned on? I use a permanent +2/3 on my center averaging mode.

Also, I find I cannot handle bright sunshine as well as I used to--old age is hell! :biggrin::cool:
first thing I checked was of course the Ex comp since I've bumped that one before but no... where is that metering adjustment thingie though?

Keep your old age to yourself - I don't want it! :tongue:

I use a d300 and usually at 200. What is the speed of lo? That aside I am not quite sure why it should screw up your exposures. I can see where it might making an image handheld darn near impossible but I would thing the exposure would still be right unless something happens below iso 200.

Because I'm not shooting on auto? I am not sure Glenn..hmm.. Good point.

the low ones are i think like 125, 160 something

Top Bottom