Sign of the times

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by phecksel, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Member of a coaching staff for a neighboring school was arrested for soliciting a "minor" over the internet. He claimed to be a coach in our school district, but was just a helping parent. Want to guess what comes next...

I've been asked to sign a paper and allow them to run a background check. Don't mind, but <sigh>, why does it have to come to this.

We have a convicted predator practically across the street. Wife told me she saw him giving something to the next door neigbor kids. Although I understand his conviction was a teenage girl, not grade school boys.

Live disembowlement is too good...

Sorry for venting

2. Sign of the times? or brought to your attention? Its not like people have all of a sudden started becoming pedophiles. Government policy ensures that you know whenever someone living near you has been convicted of this sort of crime.
    The background checks will always reveal nothing, they are only there so the school districts have some sort of paperwork to keep them from being responsible / sued.

Also even though this is about sports this should probably go in the general forum, just because this is the photo gallery section.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes,
    we have become aware. It is scary and horrible.

4. Probably a little bit of both. Internet has made it easier for pedophiles to "trade".

I put it here, because most of the sports photographers are doing school sports. While our school district may be rare in implementing a formal policy, others will follow. The rest was just my rant...

5. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    If I was in charge...anyone convicted of harming a child would get a bullet between the eyes. End of story.

6. pjwarneka

pjwarneka

Oct 30, 2006
    yes, I've heard that the suburbs are a scarry place to live.......

why I saw something on dateline the other night............

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

'I'm Chris Hanson, with Dateline NBC...'

Those shows are like crack. I can't help watching as these morons try and lie their way out of trouble. Hanson has done something like 10 specials...some people just don't get the message I guess.

8. Hey, my husband and I are having background checks run so that we can volunteer in the CHURCH NURSERY! :eek: I have no problem with it, but wow things have changed. I offered them my one from last year (we get them done yearly at work, and they cost $50) to save them money, but they need this years. O well, I tried.

9. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    As a parent of two little ones, the more checks the better. I know all the local coachs have to have them done before they start training with their teams as well. And yes it seem they are in every neighborhood, social standing and economics have nothing to do with it. How long was it ago when that director from home land secuity got busted? Part of the reason I made the kid/fam section of my website private and had to take down the comments section. Too many freaks in the world.

10. I seen a few, don't normally watch dateline, so only catch them by luck. It's absolutely amazing how some don't think it's possible to get caught.