Signing a metal print?

I "may" have the opportunity to sell a group of large 40x60" metal aluminum prints.
Test prints ordered, keeping fingers crossed.
Signature question.
I could put my signature in the file- so it would be printed with the image.
That is easy, but seems wrong or cheap on a print that is going to sell in the 4 figure range.
I could sign the metal print itself- but not sure how to do that permanently.
I will also sign and date it on the rear- but a "sharpie" type signature on the front seems tacky.
Anyone done this before?
Thanks
gary

Real Name
Andy
I never sign or watermark my signature onto prints. But on the other hand, I've never had a client specify that they wanted me to, so I have always made the assumption they want a clean image. Will your metal prints be going on display somewhere that you can draw new business? If so, and if your client is open to the addition of your signature or logo, that could be a nice marketing opportunity. Alternatively, perhaps your information could be displayed in an accompanying description tag.

Real Name
Dan
I sign mine. I strongly recommend NOT printing the signature as part of the image. It just doesn't look right. I use Bic felt pens. I can't remember the exact name of them and I'm not home to check. Depending on the color of the print there are also gold metallic paint pens that do well.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have Sharpie metallic pens.....I use the silver to make a small mark on my tripod legs. They might work.....

These images will be very dark, so signature probably has to be in grey. I will have a couple of test prints to play with. I'll make a run to the office supply and get a couple of different greys.
Thanks for steering me away from printing it in the file. I thought that was a bad idea, but it would be so easy.
Time to experiment.
Thanks for the guidance!
gary

I should have noted signature on the front is at their request- I usually only sign metal on the back.
When I ask them a question like- where do you want it signed?, their response is always the one I hate the most.
"Whatever you think"
Plus, my signature looks like most doctor's signatures- so I prefer it on the back
gary

Gary, I've made hundreds of these. They hang in all of my offices. When I tried signing the surface on the original batch, I could not find a marker that would not smudge if the image was touched or wiped. I suspect there is a protective coating which helps to make these so durable. I did not experiment too much, but the markers I did have on hand did not work and were easily wiped off. YMMV.

I'm excited to be printing some of the largest I've ever done for our new office. A few of them will be 40x60.

ust got an email from Bay Photo . Thought you might like to read about it.
Thanks!! Great minds think alike.
I just read that this afternoon. It seems to be a nice "compromise", but it is still seems to just be printed into the image. I must be missing something, as it seems to look the same as if I just put the signature file on the tiff in photoshop and printed away. I may actually call and see what I am misunderstanding.
With large prints it is painful to ship them to me so I can sign, then recrate and ship elsewhere. Costs a lot to ship these big pieces.
gary

Real Name
Mike
What ever sharpie-type marker you choose the ink needs to be resistant to fading from UV light. Or sign and number the photo on the back side.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom