1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Signs of fall...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Claire and I took a walk around the neighborhood in search of fall (autumn) color. There is not much happening here yet, but there were hints. D700 + 105VR. Handheld, VR on...

1. "Is this a good one Daddy?" 1/160 f3

1052008sm2-vi.

2. Lone Red 1/100 f8 ISO 1250

1052008sm1-vi.

3. Mum's the word. 1/80 f8

1052008sm4-vi.

4. The color of things to come. 1/200 f8 (Wish I had the polarizer on...)

1052008sm3-vi.

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hello Rich, I am glad to see you’re already getting ready to shoot the autumnal foliage once it really starts to kick in. I’ve always thought of this period as something of a last hoorah for macro/greenery photographers as it gives us one last burst of colour and excitement before we finally run inside and shelter from the cold and wet winter weather.

My favourite image from the set is probably #1 however in my opinion it could be improved if you’d composed the background better such that your daughters face isn’t cut off at the top of the frame. Perhaps a vertical composition would have helped here.

I’m also interested in #4, you say it would have been improved with polarisation which I assume is something to do with the way in which the filter would have improved the colours and saturation of the image. Do you often find these filters useful for this sort of shooting? I ask because I’ve been thinking about picking one up for months now but have never actually got around to buying one as I am not totally sure of what help it’d be.

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Hi Rich.

I know you didn't request critique, but hope you won't mind a couple of suggestions. I think Robert is right on the first image -- for me, the flow is vertical, so a portrait orientation might work better. For the mums, it looks like you were in deep shade and probably surrounded by greenery. This would lead to the slight green cast to the midtones. Removal of just a very small amount of green from the midtones would cause those yellows to jump out. The last one reminds me of a spot on my back fenceline -- I walk out and look at it every day!:wink:

4. Robert! Oh yes, these next few month provide lots of photo opportunities. And rarely do I have to go far at all! I agree with both you and Bob about a portrait orientation on #1. Next time, hopefully, I will remember that! As for the polarizer, yes color improvement, but it would also have cut down on the reflections as well, I suspect. Thanks for the input!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the critique, I always appreciate it. The mums were in deep shade as you mentioned. I might have a go at them again, but not sure they are really all that worth it. I think many of us must have a sight like #4. I like when the colors are starting to turn and the contrast with the green really makes them pop out.

5. I think the first one is a really neat idea for a photograph. I like it a lot. (Why do I never think of anything like that?)

I agree that a portrait orientation might be preferable, but I'm not sure I would have thought of it myself.

6. Hi Jim,

I have an older photo that gave me this idea in general. I was wandering around at cherry blossom time with my daughter and taking close-ups of everything I could find and essentially ignoring her. She then brought a blossom tenderly cupped in her precious little hand and said: "daddy, is this one nice?" I melted of course, got a great shot, and try and include her in my hobby as much as possible. I would love to get her into it to the point where we could shoot together! I looked for that shot, and found it!

March 2006, shot with KM 5D, Tamron 90mm macro (f8 1/400)...

cmoblossomOLD-vi.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.