Silly Expensive Treat - and Yours?

Real Name
Ken St John
Our breakfast this morning had an added treat ... poured some small batch maple syrup that's been aged in Pappy Van Winkle's bourbon barrels on our blueberry pancakes. The flavor is simply out of this world. It's one of those items that's silly expensive (about $40 a bottle) but worth it for special occasions.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think of this syrup as somewhat like the original bourbon (Pappy Van Winkles) which goes for something like $500+ a bottle!! I had two finger's worth last year on our trip (in Santa Fe), and it was the best thing I have ever sipped ... and it should be for $40 for two fingers!!

Special occasions only but, WOW was this good!! Think of a mix of bourbon, vanilla, & maple flavors, with a little extra nod to the bourbon!

Curious .... what's your favorite, "ignore the price I like it," pleasure?

(Other than a new lens/camera!:))

Ken

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Comfortable shoes (was born with a club foot and have different sized feet, one being kind of deformed, still). So properly fit and comfy shoes are REALLY important to me and REALLY hard to find.

Good wedges for golf. Most important club for me.

My car. Saved ten years for it.

I have a great friend who makes blueberry pancakes, so your treat would be a great gift for her. I've already made a note of it. Thanks for mentioning it!

My ignore-the-price-I-like-it item would be having an experience, either planned or spontaneous and either at home or while on vacation, that creates beautiful memories that last and are discussed the rest of our lives. The last such experience was a three-day stay with great friends in a boutique foodie resort serving multi-course breakfasts and suppers. The highlight was being served our private meal in this little wine cellar. Great friends. Great food. Great wine. Great time. Huge surprise thanks to a trick played on my wife and me by our friends and the entire resort staff. Nothing tops that combination for me.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Given that we've been married for 43 years and a day, I have to say my wife :joyful::love::love:

Other than that, a great bottle or glass of fabulous wine or port, or a long slow, multi-course meal. Nothing very specific.
Well, I'm pretty silly and my wife is a treat to me every day. But she's not expensive. She's thrifty to the point of being cheap but she balances my sometimes careless ways with money so it's all good, all 47 years, 28 days. It is her thrifty side that gets quietly indignant at one of my prime indulgences, good coffee. To her, instant is just fine. A cuppa to her is milk and sugar that has a slight coffee-brown tint. I take mine straight, made with fresh ground beans and brewed to an appropriate viscosity.

That syrup is pricey but does sound delicious!

Like Jim, I enjoy a fine single malt on occasion. I have a bottle of Balvenie Madeira Cask which is quite nice. It's impressive how the wood from these specialty casks can impart a unique flavor on the final product.

I'm simple and willing to save a buck unless it is tools. I spent 20 years in aircraft maintenance and can tell you there is a difference between good and just okay box store tools. I'll pay the extra for Snap-on hand tools and Festool woodworking tools.

Knife sharpening equipment, my first was a TruHone, works OK but I need to shave with my knives, I have had and still have every kind of knife sharpening machine made, my latest is a Tormek T8, some stone wheels I have paid $400+ and have 4 stone wheels with cheapest being $275, just for our home knifes, some Japanese blades deserve the best edge, my wife and kids think I have a screw loose. OH along with the stones I have a Laser compass to detect the blade angle, then once it is sharp, I have a Edge On Up blade sharpness scale to detect how sharp, some get in the scale of 50 which is a new razor out of the package.

Last edited:
No one mentioned their expensive photography gear. I just had to compile a list of my photo gear with descriptions, prices and serial numbers for my insurance company. I was surprised at the bottom line. BUT a silly somewhat expensive treat is usually doing something while we're on vacation that we can't do at home. We've done parasailing off the coast of Grand Cayman Island, rented jet ski's at Ft. Myers & Vero Beach, FL, etc. But then there's that Camaro convertible I bought last year...

A local market regularly has exotic mushrooms - chanterelle, shitake, morels and truffles that I can't always resist and caviar is a very rare treat.

I'm with Jim on the occasional exceptional Scotch, but I love the Glengoyne 15 and Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask. Wine is never scarce at home.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom