Silly photography blunder

Back in the film days, I volunteered to take pictures of families for our congregation directory. Man, all was going really well, the camera was smoother than ever before, and after a half-dozen families, I said to myself, "Hmmmm...something doesn't feel right! I checked: I had forgotten to load the film in the camera!:wideyed:
I had a camera that did that regularly on its own. The film leader slipped out of the take up spool on a number of occasions making me lose shots. I got into the habit of always watching the film spool turn when I advanced the film to make sure it hadn't slipped out. I got tired of that quick and bought a Nikon and never looked back.

I made a stupid blunder today which I didn't catch until I was reviewing ny photos on the computer.

_Z504906.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just last week I forgot to take the polarizer off when I went inside a slot cave with the grandkids. Needless to say, the shots were very noisy and some out of focus. It was probably too dark for the camera to focus correctly. I find I make the most mistakes when I am trying to keep of with the little kids. Just keeping track of them takes most of my attention.

Just last week I forgot to take the polarizer off when I went inside a slot cave with the grandkids. Needless to say, the shots were very noisy and some out of focus. It was probably too dark for the camera to focus correctly. I find I make the most mistakes when I am trying to keep of with the little kids. Just keeping track of them takes most of my attention.

That's a valid excuse. In my case, less so. We were walking with two other couples, and I was carrying on a conversation with one of them.

Just like I sometimes wear my sunglasses into the store, forgetting to swap from sunglasses to regular glasses before exiting the car.
The problem is, with Rx sunglasses, I can't just take them off. To see, I need the one back in the car.

Just like I sometimes wear my sunglasses into the store, forgetting to swap from sunglasses to regular glasses before exiting the car.
The problem is, with Rx sunglasses, I can't just take them off. To see, I need the one back in the car.
Do you ever forget to take them off when you are driving and it is getting dark? I've done that one, too!!

At one of my daughter's wedding reception, we had some sparkly hearts scattered on the tables. The photographer ended up getting one in his camera (film). All the photos had a heart on them.

Do you ever forget to take them off when you are driving and it is getting dark? I've done that one, too!!

Yup. Just after sundown and into twilight. It gets dark so gradually, that often I don't notice it . . . until it is dark.
It also happens when I start on the sunny side of the hill, then drive over the crest of the hill, and it gets dark (shadowed) on the other side.

The problem is, to change glasses, I have to find a safe place to pull over.
I can't change glasses while I am driving. My glasses have hook temples, so I have to use two hands to put it on.

Did one today.
Was shooting in the shade, so I set the WB to shade.
BUT . . . when I went into the sun, I forgot to reset the WB to sun. :mad:
Tomorrow, when I'm rested, I will see how bad the colors are, and if they are salvageable.
Luckily, I caught the problem half way through the softball game, so all was not lost. phew.

Did one today.
Was shooting in the shade, so I set the WB to shade.
BUT . . . when I went into the sun, I forgot to reset the WB to sun. :mad:
Tomorrow, when I'm rested, I will see how bad the colors are, and if they are salvageable.
Luckily, I caught the problem half way through the softball game, so all was not lost. phew.
If you shoot with raw files instead of jpeg this can easily be fixed.

The problem with correcting later is that you have to trust your memory on what the scene looked like.

That's one of the reasons I like mirrorless cameras so much. I set both of mine to Kelvin WB and make a habit of comparing the image in the viewfinder to what I see with my eyes, and adjusting appropriately before pressing the shutter. Having done this for several years, I've developed a sense of the proper Kelvin temperature for different lighting conditions. I recommend trying this approach.

I sneaked by. The color is surprisingly OK :)

I shoot my own stuff in RAW, but for the school, there are usually just toooo many frames to deal with RAW to JPG. This softball game was about 1,300 frames. Swim, with 46 races, was over 3,000 frames. Yeah shooting at 18fps massively increases the frame count. But even at 6fps on the D7200, there was a LOT of frames to deal with.
So I bit the bullet and just shoot in JPG, simply to simplify and speed up the processing.

BTW, for softball, some of the culls is easy. All the shots in the burst, "swing and a miss," for my team, gets deleted.

I think this qualifies as a "blunder."

I "lost" my monopod, so I bought another one.
My wife told me that as soon as I buy the replacement, I will find the lost monopod.
And darn if she was right. I opened the new monopod, took it upstairs to put an AS clamp on it. I happened to glance down at where I "thought" I looked before. And there it was, the old monopod, just where it should have been. :confused:

Latest threads

Top Bottom