Silver Gull from Australia, me and my shadow!!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bestgolfer, Aug 23, 2008.

1. 2789105510_4d5834172e_b.

Shot this one today...a group of gulls were feeding at low tide....now I know gulls are pretty common, but I really like the inflight ones, hope you do too.

I know the shot is a bit tight, but wanted to get the shadow effect. RAW with D80 with 70-300 VR, Aperture priority.

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hello Ron,

I like the idea you have here and I think the close shadow next to the ground creates an interesting photo.

I think your main subject could use more sharpening, as presented in this pic, it seems lost in the frame, I did some extra sharpening on the bird and it really popped out in the image and added some eye appeal to the subject.

Cheers, and thanks for posting.

Wade

3. 2790401881_578814370f_b.

Thanks for that Wade, had another go and increased the sharpening. I am using Aperture 2 with my Mac.

Is this any better........or is it overdone.

Presume you use PS?

My in-camera sharpening has been left at the default settings, this was shot with my D80, but my D200 which I have had for only 3 months, was reported in reviews to produce slightly 'soft' images, out of the camera...maybe I should up the sharpening levels in both cameras...............Although this path would seem pointless, as my understanding is the RAW shot ignores all camera settings apart from exposure information....time aperture...an accurate white balance is desirable I understand, so PP is the way to adjust sharpness I guess.

And Wade...had a peep at your website (mainly birds shots) wonderful, colourful and SHARP images...I see you may be on a Mac too.......very briefly what's your workflow, I would like to replicate your images, well to a point!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hi Ron,

I am a mac user, I shoot raw, and I use PS CS3 all the time at work (Fine Arts at a high school) I also have aperture too, but I have settled on NX, currently running NX and playing with NX2.

So my workflow is shoot Raw, cull out bad shots in a viewer like NX view or photomechanic (what I use) and then open up in NX for individual work and adjustment as needed.

What I did on the shot below was just sharpening on the bird only, using the brush tool to add sharpening only to the bird. This technique, on shots like this tends to give it that natural 3d look to the image and is quickly done.

I also did some warming and a slight saturation increase (very very slight, don't go overboard on white birds). I also did a crop to further bring the eye to the subject.

I also use NX to keep my in camera settings since they transfer through NX to the raw image.

You can easily do the same thing in both photoshop and Aperture. One thing you we do have a problem with is the blown area on top of the head, the area is gone completely, and couldn't be rescued.

[​IMG]

cheers and good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.