Simple steps in using CS2

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by greenville hybrid, Apr 2, 2007.

1. I have read a lot about using Adobe Photoshop but can’t quite hang of a straight forward way to post process NEF files from by D50 for 4 x 6 or 5x 7 prints. Can some help out in a quick cheat sheet steps to perform CS2. The shots are taken with no white balance being set. I can get to the point of opening the file in CS2. What I would like is 5 or 6 steps to come to the point of saving it in the appropriate format (jpg or TIFF) for either burning to a CD or sending it online for printing. Also, a way to save it in appropriate setting at the Flickr site so that it can be linked to Nikon Café in posts and Challenges.

I am mainly interested in cropping the photo, adjust WB, adjust contrast and color and sharpen. I would like to do levels and curves if they are easy but do not think I can manage things like Layers. Since I have CS2 I do not want to spend additional money and buy Elements.

Thanks for all your help.

Ravi

2. When you import, you should have the option of adjust WB with Adobe Camera RAW. Once you are done with that popup section, click on Open and it will bring it into Photoshop.

If you select the Crop tool, you can set it at the top for what size you want it to crop to. You'll see width and height, you can set it 4in and 6in and 200dpi or higher, or whatever settings you like.

For adjusting, you should use "Layers -> New Adjustment Layer" when possible. it's very easy to do. When you are done with all your adjustment layers and all that, just right click on a layer down in the bottom right corner and seelct "Flatten Image". That will put all the layers you used into the picture.

Personally, I don't really use the brightness/contrast controls (you can adjust that in Adobe Camera Raw if you really want). I mainly use levels/curves adjustment layers. For sharpening, use Unsharp mask in Filters section, or duplicate your background layer (CTRL + J), select Other -> High Pass, and a small number of px (usually between 2 and 5 but it depends on the image and how you want it to show). Once you have done that, the whole layer will be grey. In the layers section, use the dropdown menu that shows "normal" and select "overlay".

Then it's as simple as File -> Save As, and selecting your file format.

It sounds complicated and it will take you a bit of time to get used to but once you do, it's pretty easy and quick.

3. Jimmy

Thank you. I will try it out.

Ravi

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.