Simple Still Life -- 4th and FINAL Photo Added

The flowers are three years old.

Photo #1
Mike 2021-03-11--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2021-03-11--0003-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2021-03-12--0007-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2021-03-12--0008-L.jpg

Setup of Photo #1

The black card covering up part of the lamp minimized the amount of light falling behind the flower. Ten focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Mike 2021-03-11--0002-S.jpg

Setup of Photos #2 & #3
Photo #2: The white reflector added a reflection to the part of the glass that has the sharp point, which made it stand out. Fifteen focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Photo #3: The white reflector lifted the shadow tones on the left side of the primary subject. (No focus stacking was used.)
Mike 2021-03-11--0004-S.jpg

Setup of Photo #4
The lamp was at the level of the wood so the light would graze across the wood and emphasize its texture. The fabric cast a subtle shadow on the wood. I should use fabric to cast shadows more often, as fabric can be easily shaped to cast curved edges of a shadow (unlike when using a rectangular, firm object).
Mike 2021-03-12--0009-S.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful additions, Mike!
Very consistent processing. Makes for a strong series!

If you don't mind a suggestion or question, I wonder if the 3rd one wouldn't benefit from removing some of the detailed structure of the cloth the flower is on.
Unless you wanted to emphasize the two types of structure of course.

I wonder if the 3rd one wouldn't benefit from removing some of the detailed structure of the cloth the flower is on.
Unless you wanted to emphasize the two types of structure of course.

Yes, I wanted to display the contrast of the smooth cloth and the rough petals. I also wanted to frame the primary subject within the folds of the cloth. Having said all of that, I agree that the photo would also look very nice if most of that detail in the cloth was removed.

Beautiful additions, Mike!

Thanks, Bart! I just now got an idea for a fourth photo. I really wasn't planning on making a series; I was planning on making only the first photo.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I like #3 a great deal! Beautiful tones and leading lines. The OOF lower in the back and the surface seem to complement the main subject. I agree with Bart that having less texture in the cloth would be better. The background is confusing to me in #1. I spent too much time trying to identify the background and the brightness of it pulls my eye past the main subject.

Marvellous, Mike!
I think the 4th one is my favourite of the series because I feel a story there.
It also makes the tension between the structures you have in a the images of the set more obvious.
(don't ask me how :))

As always, I'm amazed at how you make the light and shadows do exactly what you want.

I love #4 Mike. In the other images your subjects usually compete with the other stuff in the images , but even so I like #3 very much too. By the way when I look at your set up for #4 , I noticed the beautiful colors and textures , so I strongly suggest a color photo with that wood,the rose,the vase and the red cloth.

Thanks, Binnur!

By the way when I look at your set up for #4 , I noticed the beautiful colors and textures , so I strongly suggest a color photo with that wood,the rose,the vase and the red cloth.

It's good to see that you also noticed that. When I set up that scene, I probably would have photographed it in color if I hadn't already decided to make the photo the fourth one in a series of monochrome photos.

Beyond that, I'm also intrigued by the composition of the setup photo with regard to the position of the piece of wood and how its far end appears to be sticking out beyond the tabletop unsupported by anything. I've been trying unsuccessfully to think of an object or group of objects to place on the far end of the wood. If you or anyone has any ideas about that, please let me know.

Thanks, Binnur!

It's good to see that you also noticed that. When I set up that scene, I probably would have photographed it in color if I hadn't already decided to make the photo the fourth one in a series of monochrome photos.

Beyond that, I'm also intrigued by the composition of the setup photo with regard to the position of the piece of wood and how its far end appears to be sticking out beyond the tabletop unsupported by anything. I've been trying unsuccessfully to think of an object or group of objects to place on the far end of the wood. If you or anyone has any ideas about that, please let me know.

Well.. you don't have to use the 'set up photo composition' to make another image by using those objects, you can create another composition. But if you want to use the 'set-up photo composition', you might cover the end of the wood with some of that red cloth :rolleyes:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom