Simple (stupid?) question about NC 4.2.1

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Gordon Large, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Based on my recollection of earlier versions of NC, there was an option to automatically convert images to sRGB when saving as JPEG. This plus using the size/resolution tool made it very easy to produce web-ready files.

I don't see this option in 4.2.1. In fact, I don't see any way to convert an Adobe RGB image to sRGB in 4.2.1. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Gordon

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Try tools, options, see if that is what you want.

Also, file save as, drop down menu has choices.

Hope that helps a bit till the experts arrive. :>))

cheers
    Gale

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale, but I don't see what I'm looking for there. My comments are in bold.

Thanks for trying! :) Now let's hope the experts do arrive :!:

Gordon

4. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

In PS
    Image-Mode- assign profile.

Birger

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Birger. Maybe you can explain to me the difference between "assign profile" and "convert to". If you simply assign an sRGB profile to an Adobe RGB file, won't the typical dumb (not color-managed) monitor still show the Adobe RGB file?

I'm still hoping that someone can come up with an answer to what earlier versions on NC could do and what 4.2.1 can do now. For quick and dirty web images which don't require PS work, the auto conversion to sRGB in NC was a great feature.

Cheers,
    Gordon

6. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Gordon;
    I gave up a long time ago with all of the gamuts.
    I shoot sRGB, set computer etc to sRGB, print sRGB to printers or printing programs..
    I sort of recall that computer makers came up with sRGB for monitors.
    I think HP was in the fore front on that. Then we had Bruce RGB, Adobe had to come up with something so they Adobe RGB. Not to outclassed Nikon has Nikon RGB.

Even today Dan Margulis has changed his mind- preferring sRGB.

Hopefully someone can answer your query about past versions of NV.

As to assign and convert profiles- guess you got to go PS - Edit Preferences and and comprehend- which I struggle with and do not want to relay any bad info.

Last Thursday afternoon my new ViewSonic LCD arrived.
    Needless to say I have been very busy calibrating it as well as tieing it into four IBM ThinkPads and and two printers.
    Well it is almost done.

Birger

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Birger -

Thanks for getting back to me. I've got to admit that your all sRGB solution is very enticing, but I'm not giving up yet. Have fun with your new monitor! :) But four Thinkpads? :shock: Never mind - I don't need to know why.

Best,
    Gordon

8. Birger, if you print from an Epson 2200 (very popular amongst photographers) then you're missing out on gamut with sRGB.

Joe

9. Gordon,

The RGB numbers in a given file represent the colors in a color space. The difference betwen assign and convert to is simply that assign interprets the existing RGB numbers in the specified color space (without changing the RGB numbers in the file), whereas convert to works to give the same visual rendition of colors using a different color space, and therefore modifying the RGB numbers in the file itself.

In other words, if you have a file that you know should be in Adobe RGB, but does not have a tag (profile) which is saying that the file has been encoded in the Adobe RGB space, you can simply assign the Adobe RGB profile to it: it won't modify the actual data, just instruct every color-managed application to interpret the color properly. For those applications that are not color-management aware (eg Internet Explorer), you want to convert to sRGB (in PS), because that is the assumed default.

I think in your case, you want to first assign Adobe RGB and then convert to sRGB!! :wink:

Hope this helps!

10. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Joe;

I'm fully aware of that.

Yes I have the Epson 1270 and the 2200.
    I hope to get the new Epson The big one
    due out hopefully this year.

Birger

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Philippe -

Thanks for the helpful info and advice. A good, simple explanation that even I can understand! :lol:

Gordon

12. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

You don't do it in Nikon Capture, it is done from Nikon View Gordon. First of all, make any necessary adjustments to the images in Capture and save the adjustments back into the NEF files. Then in Nikon View, go to the Preferences and check the box down towards the bottom

[​IMG]

Next go to the Tools menu and choose the "Copy and Resize as JPEG files" option - choose the parameters and location - see image below:-

[​IMG]

13. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Birger,

I have to agree with Joe, you are missing out by using sRGB, which was designed as a sort of lowest common denominator type of colourspace. Modern inkjets - especially those using ultra chrome type of inks produce colours way outside the sRGB gamut. Even printers such as the Fuji Frontier, which is often touted as an sRGB printer, can produce much better prints when using even the generic Fuji Frontier profile (the shadow areas are opened up much better).

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Carol. I've used that procedure a million times, but I must have suffered a serious brain cramp. :roll: I have two more questions for you -

Am I right that the only way to make 960 pixel files for Nikon Cafe is to set the Size/Resolution in NC to "Keep the crop" and the longest side to 960 pixels, and then "Save as" a JPEG?

Does checking the "Convert image(s) to sRGB,,,," in NV also result in conversion to sRGB when using "Save as" in NC?

Thanks for your help!
    Gordon

15. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Hi Gordon,

If I understand the rule, it says the maximum width to be not more than 960 pixels - which means you could have a portrait orientaion image of say 1200 pixels (height) and 960 pixels (width) or a landscape orientated image of say 600 pixels (height) and 960 pixels width - or indeed a square format image of 960 pixels x 960 pixels.

I should imagine that this is the width which will fit into a browser window (maximised) on a monitor with a 1024 x 768 screen resolution and still allow room for scroll bars etc - in other words the user would not have to scroll horizontally to see the image.

Unfortunately not Gordon - this is a function within Nikon View only - doing a 'Save As' and choosing the JPEG option from Nikon Capture will result in whatever output destination profile you have chosen in the preferences

16. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Hi Carol;
    I am glad that you have joined this forum of great people.
    I recall you on the Adobe-Compuserve Forum Days. You were extremely helpful to all of the participants in those days.
    Then Nikon came out with the D1, and the poor chap who was doing the Nikon forum or help section could not handle the magenta problems.
    So Nikon quit.
    Then Jeurgen started his forum Dec 99 or January 00 and would not put up with any problem people. Then when the fix for the magenta came about we had a great forum.

I think that we have a great bunch here.
    Thank you again for helping out.

Yes I agree with you in regard to better gamut.
    I do take NEF on my important shots. These can be changed to different gamut if needed.
    That's going to be up to my son or daughter when I pass away.

See I'll be 80 this August and I'm having one heck of a good time
    with all of my Nikon Cameras and Nikon Glass. My Dealer loves me, and people like my work.
    Maybe they are just nice to me.
    Anyway I do not need to work.

So thanks again for coming to this forum and with your presence
    Many of the members I expect to read about more as they become
    more proficient.

Birger

17. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Hi Birger,

Well, your memory certainly isn't failing you then, it was around 10 years ago that Adobe invited me to be a sysop on their Compuserve Forum - I quit around 18 months ago as the Photoshop forum was becomiung a little like a kindergarten at times - a very low signal to noise ratio very much like what DPreview is becoming.

Whilst 10 years might not seem a long time, it's eons in computer time - back then we had the Intel 486's, 340Mb hard drives were around £400 and I remember upgrading my RAM from 4Mb to 40Mb and it cost me almost £1750 - almost the cost of a new D2Hs :roll: