Simpler Time Series.... (Critique)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Nov 17, 2005.

1. I would like to post an image in the hopes that everyone will look closely and give me the "Good / Bad and Ugly.

I'm interested in getting feed back not just on the image and lighting but the composition and story it (might or might not) tells.

This image will become part of my "Simpler Time Series" and it's important to work out all the kinks in these images before they make it to the next level.

My problem is I create the images... but don't seem to be very good at evaluating them. Hence, I post the image in the hopes of getting good input from folks who know about images and what makes one special and the others just so_so.

I was going to embed the image in this post... But they seem to come out very dark so I'll just leave it with the (link)... hope no one minds.

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.pbase.com/dbarber/image/52394410

2. As an (added) thought....
    Here is an embedded image. But it still looks quit dark on my monitor....

(Please take the time to look at the link...)
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005
  3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Doug - First, I really like this photo as posted on your pbase site! (the linked version is slightly brighter on my monitor as well) It has a great title and creates a level of calmness thinking about the simple thoughts in the mind of the girl.

The only things I could suggest trying as a way to possibly improve the shot would be 1) clone out the light on the wall above the girls head and on the floor to the right of the girl, 2) crop the picture a little more so there's just a little less black area around the scene, and/or, 3) clone out what looks like a barcode label on the back of the book she's reading (that may not be what it is, but that's what it looks like).

I'm not sure any of those changes will improve the shot, but thought I'd offer the suggestions.

Again -- a really wonderful photo!

4. Like I have any business AT ALL, critiquing any of your stuff, but what the heck, you asked for it :wink:

One thing that I find quite interesting about this is what catches different people in different ways. I actually like the little bit of light above the girls head myself, but what I do find distracting is that there is, to me, just too much "dark" around the image. I found the image much more pleasing when I did a "hand crop" on both sides and a bit from the top, which may be why the light over the girls head did not bother me. Or course this meant I cropped out your signature, but I'm sure you can find a way to add it back in. I am mixed regarding the bar code, didn't notice it at first. The more I think about it, I find that it adds an intriguing "now and then" aspect to the image. Bar codes certainly were not there in the "simpler times" of 50 years ago, but when I think about it I like the statement it makes, at least for me. The other thing I find when I crop out the dark edges and some "off the top" is that I find my eye more quickly drawn to the girl and not the doll.

Well, enough from me, as usual I really like the feel of the image itself.

Thanks for letting me drop my 2 cents on you.

5. Very powerful, excellent story! Great lighting, too. I like it as is although I would like to see the Pbase shot about 1/3 + EV.

How in the world did you get that pretty little girl to be still for such a long exposure?

Paul

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Lovely image Doug,

I always admire your work.

7. Doug, if you want the picture to come out exactly the same as the link, all you have to do is append /original to the file name before you add .jpg. Pbase's default size for direct linked pictures is 800 pixels in its largest dimension. So unless you specify "original", pbase will crunch your pic to the "large" size, damaging the image in the process.

original.

8. I like your work. I admire what you are doing with lighting.

So far as this image goes, it works well for me.

I would say it could stand to be about a third stop brighter, but I'd rather know what your intentions are and see exactly that.

9. Beautiful image Doug, I like it just like it is. Your creative lighting gives us all something to think about.

10. Hi Don:
    thanks for the valued info on the image....
    I did try to crop it a little but think it still looks best with the full crop. Getting rid of the bar code is a great idea and I will do that ASAP.
    Thanks again

11. Hi Bill:
    Good to here from you again...
    As I mentioned to Don, I did try the crop idea. But it just did not seem to gel for me. Mind you I might not be doing it right and should keep trying till I get it right.
    Thanks again for the comments.
    Critique

12. Doug
    Very nicely done great light perfect feel for the title, one thing though I don't know if this matters but if this is supposed to invoke a feel from the past might want to take the bar code off the back of the book. Again not sure if you are trying to paint a picture of simpler days in the past or not but the bar code seems out of place. God is that nit picking or what!

13. Hi Paul:
    thanks for looking in....
    I reworked the original image and bumped it up a little and it looks much better.
    Thanks for the good idea.

14. Hi Gale:
    Thanks for the kind words... hope all is well in the deep south!

15. Thanks Frank:
    This is the tip of the day for me....
    I've been fighting this image thing for a while now and was getting to the point I did not want to post images anymore. so with luck your instructions will help a lot.
    Thanks again.

16. Hi Beezle:
    I'm with you on the 1/3 stop issue and I re-did the image and got it a little brighter.
    Thanks again

17. Thanks so much Gordon:
    I'm still trying to get my lighting to the next level and it seems some days it works and others it does not. Oh well I guess I'll just keep playing and hoping I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks again.

18. Hi Mike:
    Earlier in the thread someone pointeed out the bar code... Good thing I posted this as I would not have seen it on my own until it was to late.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers