Critique Simplicity

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by greyflash, Oct 5, 2017.

1. I would be interested in what you think of this minimal image. It is simply a small tree branch sticking out of a sand dune. The sand in this area has a reddish hue and is quite course.

Stick in sand.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bravo! I've tried for shots like that for years (usually with snow) and failed miserably! Kudos to you for keeping it so simple.

3. I think it is very good, Gordon, but to me it would be excellent if everything in the foreground and background were in sharper focus. Maybe the field of view is too deep for a single exposure, but focus stacking would accomplish it.

4. Thanks Nick, not sure why this caught my attention but it did. It’s one of those images that you either like or hate, not too much in between.

5. This I like very much. I can see arguments for both deeper or shallower depth of field, but I don't know that it matters really. The stick is in focus and the rest is such a great abstract natural pattern. Very well done.

Dave

6. You bring up a good point Jim. My thought process was to limit the DOF in order to focus the attention of the viewer on the stick. In retrospect it would have been a simple matter of shooting a second image with a longer DOF. Thanks for sharing your opinion as there is no right or wrong answer.

7. Ooh, this is neat! LOVE this minimalism! My eyes follow the undulating patterns of the sand while inevitably returning again and again to that lone tree branch, and if I hadn't already been informed what it is, I'd be speculating: is it a branch? An antler of some dead animal? What? Overall, an intriguing image!

8. I think this is a simple and powerful photography. The stick is an important element...as the viewer needs something to rest his/her eyes on. I like the texture, the pattern, the colors--the whole image! Well done.

Glenn

9. Hi Connie, so nice to hear from you. Sometimes when you take an image you wonder why you even bothered and this was one of those times. I am glad you like it as I do too.

How nice Glenn, I am pleased that you have seen the interest and beauty in this simplistic image. Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

10. I really like these kinds of shots. Might try playing around with the crop a bit. I am not concerned with standard sizes which can be limiting. Less on the bottom and on the right would move the stick into the lower left third which appeals to me--but it is such a matter of personal taste! Well seen!

11. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign

Mar 14, 2017
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    What a fantastic image! I don’t think it is simplistic, rather minimalist. Depending on the viewing distance and size, its both abstract yet still full of detail if you look closely. Its the kind of minimalism I strive for, but can rarely achieve...

12. Your comment is interesting because that is what I intended to do. Just didn't chop off enough of it. I do agree with you suggestion and have made the change to the image above.

Thank you so much for your very kind comment.

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I really like the image for its simplicity. However, the texture of the OOF upper area (and even the extreme foreground) seems very coarse/harsh. Perhaps it is just not OOF enough for me. Or perhaps it is the characterisitc of the lens, added noise, or ???? Everyone has a reaction/opinion....and that's the great thing about photography! LOL! I would prefer either a really deep DOF as Jim suggested, or a much less DOF.

14. Hi Karen, thanks for commenting. The sand in that area is very course and red in color. This is due to the red rocks in Snow Canyon being a softer rock that is easily carved by the wind and rain over the years. The lens I used is a Nikkor 85mm f1.4 and is very sharp. The scene is pretty much how it looked to my eye.

15. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Agreed. The sand in the focused areas is fine. I was addressing the texture of the OOF areas.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. I like it and I like the minimal approach. It certainly draws attention and I've never personally seen sand that colour. The only thing I would change would be to get rid of the small dark patch to the right, level with the tree.

17. Almost all the sand and dust here in St. George is red. Sand after all is simply the rocks being worn down to minute particles and we have more red rocks than we do white, especially in the area of this state park. Appreciate your comments and for taking the time to view this thread.

18. ProMapper

ProMapper

Oct 1, 2017
    Petersburg TN
    Greg
    It would be hard to make this a bad photo. Changing anything just changes the point of interest and appeals to yet another person. Well done.

19. My thought is how could this grow and survive in the environment, I like it how it is as the stump grabs my attention.

“Individually you can pick holes in any photo you take, that’s the nature of photographers”: Timothy Allen

Cheers

20. Thank you for the words of wisdom.
    Thank you for your thoughts.