Since you asked...

Discussion in 'People' started by Czechman01, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ... here's a couple more of Jessica. No make up.

D2X Nikkor 105 micro VR
    original.

D2X Nikkor 17-55 2.8 DX
    Yea, yea I know... that confounded watch! If I didn't have like 4 keepers from this portrait series, I'd spend the time to get it out of the picture.
    original.

And one more IR. I'm beginning to dial in this processing... got it down to 2 hours now with some sort of consistent workflow. BTW, "nothing" is showing here...
    D100 IR, Nikkor 18-200 VR
    original.

2. The contrast between that smooth, flawless, beautiful skin and those dry, cracked, parched lips is incredible. How does someone with such wonderful skin neglect her lips to this degree? She looks like she's been kissing sandpaper. Get that girl some chapstick with UV protection!

I know you say it is just lighting not rocket science, but these photos really demonstrate how well you do it. When you start out with such a well lit subject, it must make all of your pp that much easier.

Thanks for posting these.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You do good work Woody. I see the stick motif again - good! I liked what you did before with it. In the monochrome (where I like her pose and expression the best), it looks like you got a bit too heavy on the pp in her hair, especially above her right eye. But the color work is exemplary!

4. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I love all three. IMO her lips are the only thing keeping 1 and 2 from being downright perfect. As you said, iksnay on the watch.

A "model" with no experience has asked me to shoot her. While I initially balked, your work with Jessica makes me wonder.

5. beautiful pictures, and she is stunning! I absolutely love to see a beautiful woman with no makeup.

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    No make-up? :eek: What the heyy....:mad: I am jealous! Wish I looked like that with NO MAKE UP! Hahahah just kidding.

Wow those are sharp as a razor...and the color is just awesome. Woody, as always those are superb!

7. Just have a definite plan for no more than two "looks". In this shoot I wanted portraits and only went for the "art" once I felt she was up to it.

Be prepared to give direction and take control of the shoot.

Trying to do too much ruins more shoots than anything else I've experienced. When I shot Jess I only took about 200 frames, and I shot each pose several times from slightly different angles.

There are gems in the side you're not looking at.

8. Maybe the contrast looks that big just because there's no "Woody's lip treatment" yet. :wink::biggrin:

Btw. I like that contrast (though I wouldn't mind smooth [looking?] lips either).

9. Hi Woody, like your shots. I just wondered what you used on the fill side of the models face (reflector, strobe)? Thanks for sharing your work it always helps me.

10. This is what happens when I don't shoot on a regular schedule... I forget things like telling models to be sure to be hydrated when they show up and I also have some clear lip gloss that I usually use.

Next time :redface:

11. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    I kinda like the cracked dry lips... :shrug:

12. I use a large white "bookend" reflector. The first two are a key and hair light. The B&W is a single light. I've owned as many as 6 lights at one time but over time I've settled into just one or two.

Hold on, I'm lying... on the B&W there is an AB400 real high in the back with a 10 degree gris aimed at the wall in hopes of getting a line of light. You can see it on her right side.. that little smudge of light...

13. Thanks Woody, that is helpful.