Singapore Zoological Gardens - 14/12/2005

Discussion in 'Birds' started by espn, Dec 14, 2005.

1. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    Went on a shooting spree with some friends today, some shots from the Zoo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
  3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Michael. What in the world are those creatures in the second shot?

4. Interesting collection of animal/bird shots! It's always nice to see the creatures from other parts of the world. I'm with Frank....what are those in shot #2. I really like the tiger shot but I'm a sucker for big cat photos!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Really nice serres of shots Michael, although I wish they were a little bigger. :wink: What are those critters in #2, and what kind of bird is that last one?

6. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    Thanks guys, glad you like them, was just shooting away in the warm humid afternoon in the Zoo. As for the #2 shot, they're a type of Gibbons, I'm still finding out the right name as I don't seem to have any records of it in my possession. Hee.

As for the white tigers, they're pretty much around for a long while and a highlight of the zoo, this is their new habitat just built not too long ago. If you folks drop by SG, you can go and take a look :)

Hi Steve, thanks for your kind compliments. I've been too used and other-conscious to give a smaller image (for speed loading) for those on 56k bandwidth and/or smaller screen resolutions. I'll try to give a larger scale next time :)

As for the last bird shot, that's a Stork-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis/Halcyon capensis), let just say I'm very lucky to spot it. Pretty fast fellow for me, it was there for a good 2-3 shots before it flew away.

Thanks guys for your kind comments, will be shooting more (hopefully) before I start working again.

7. Hi Michael, isn't it fun to shoot at the zoo. Nice series of shots you have here.

8. Excellent images Michael. For some reason I have seen people on other forums snub zoo photos, but I cannot think of a reason why. The opportunities are hard to resist.

Your images are awesome, I do like the stork billed kingfisher, a rarity indeed.

I too would like to see the images larger, at least 800pix wide for the landscape orientation.

Regards,

brett

9. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    Well, it is, been a year+ since I went to the zoo. Took this opportunity to go with some friends for the company. If you ever drop by Singapore let me know, I'll bring you to the zoo!

Thank you Brett, thank you for your generous comments, I'm still learning as I go, but am very glad if my images got through to you especially the kingfisher, it is really pure luck that it was that near to me. Rare indeed. The more common is the white collared kingfisher that can be found in Singapore.

I've resized the images as per requested, hope it works, if the loading is too slow, I apologize :Tongue:

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Michael,

I really like the larger versions. I know that it hammers those on slow links, but the images are just so much more representative of the shot. Thanks for taking the time to repost these. :smile:

11. I suspect the 'snub' in other forums is for two reasons (1) They are an older forum and folks have gotten older and stoggier in their photography, and (2) They want to emphasize 'pure' wildlife photography. (This is really the same as reason #1). I enjoy the youth and exuberance of this Forum. I hope we can keep it this way.

I bet most of these more 'serious' folks are nothing compared to Nick Nichols of National Geographic. He doesn't bother with South Florida. There's too many places where no one has ever been. By the way, he's a nice guy and would never snub anyone. Personally, I've been doing photography in a serious way for over 20 years, and I love zoo photography and aquarium photography. I have a few zoo shots on my web site. And I gotta go the newly opened largest aquarium in the world, the Georgia Aquarium. Could be a great Cafe outing.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The larger images a much nicer to see their details now, thanks. Love the Stork-Billed Kingfisher! That pair of monkeys is SO bizzarre looking! I did a search for Gibbon, and didn't find anything even remotely like thaose beasts.

13. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    Frank: Glad you liked them, wasn't really an issue apart from the sharpening, had to redo the values from scratch to find one suitable for a 800 long side image.

Muril, I don't know, but I often hold the wildlife shooters in respect and awe for the images they deliver so wondrously beautiful, the flight, the patience and the sweat put in! I've gone shooting with some bird shooters before for a whole 5 hours, ended up with 0 shots usable. I'm often mouth opened BIG when I see a good shot. Seeing the shots here in the fourm galleria, really makes me wonder how to get such a shot like that! Really great works folks.

Steve: Glad you like the stork billed kingfisher, that's sort of my favourite shot for the day too. I've tried to search for the monkeys but yet to find the actual name, since I'm still jobless, perhaps will head back for checking and thought of visiting the birdpark again for some flight shots or something.

Thanks folks for being generous in your comments! Appreciate them!