Single card slot!

Perhaps the Z camera owners would please comment on the single slot and any consequences of Nikon decision to have only one card slot. Personally it doesn’t bother me at all, card failure would bother me more, how long does it take to change a card? But that is not a reason to have multiple card slots.

Real Name
Andrew
I honestly think that the single card slot thing is way overblown. More an issue of YouTubers and professional bloggers needing something to b****h about.

I’ve been shooting professionally since 2008 and have never had a single card failure every. SD, micro SD and XQD have all worked flawlessly.

that’s through weddings, multi day sporting events shooting trends of thousands of images.

i just buy quality cards and ensure to format them in camera regularly.

Last edited:
I honestly think that the single card slot thing is way overblown. More an issue of YouTube and professional bloggers needing something to ***** about.

I’ve been shooting professionally since 2008 and have never had a single card failure every. SD, micro SD and XQD have all worked flawlessly.

that’s through weddings, multi day spring events shooting trends of thousands of images.

i just buy quality cards and ensure to format them in camera regularly.
Thanks Andrew, that has also been my experience, but of course I’m not a pro!

Real Name
Barry
Well I have never had a card failure (always used Sandisk from a reconised supplier). And have been using my D70, D200 and D700 for years. Only my D7200 and D500 has two slots but these are both set up as overflow cards, So no issue just having a single slot on my Z6.

Perhaps the Z camera owners would please comment on the single slot and any consequences of Nikon decision to have only one card slot. Personally it doesn’t bother me at all, card failure would bother me more, how long does it take to change a card? But that is not a reason to have multiple card slots.
I'm not a professional, but have been shooting digital since the D70 and have never had a card failure. While I think it is overblown and often used as a something to diss the current Z line, I think it is an issue for some photographers.

I carry fire insurance on my house. I've never had a fire. I do everything I can to minimize the risk of a fire (have proper electrical work and inspections done, store flammables appropriately, be careful when I grill/smoke etc) It is highly unlikely that I ever will have a fire. But I still pay every year because while the risk is statistically very small, an incident could be catastrophic.

Do you really want to be the guy that tells the bride you don't have any pictures of the ceremony or reception? While the chances as vanishingly small, an incident like that would put you out of business.

I haven't had card failure but I like 2 slots because of my failure.
When I get home from a shoot, I take my card out of the camera and download images to my computer. WIthin a day I return the card to the camera. But, if I forget, it is reassuring to know there is another card in the camera.

I'm not a professional, but have been shooting digital since the D70 and have never had a card failure. While I think it is overblown and often used as a something to diss the current Z line, I think it is an issue for some photographers.

I carry fire insurance on my house. I've never had a fire. I do everything I can to minimize the risk of a fire (have proper electrical work and inspections done, store flammables appropriately, be careful when I grill/smoke etc) It is highly unlikely that I ever will have a fire. But I still pay every year because while the risk is statistically very small, an incident could be catastrophic.

Do you really want to be the guy that tells the bride you don't have any pictures of the ceremony or reception? While the chances as vanishingly small, an incident like that would put you out of business.
MNGlass, I wouldn’t do a wedding or other important function with only one camera! I too started with a D70.

My first digital camera was also a d70. I have had one card failure- but it happened at a bad time. I spent a fortune trying to get images off the card- several $100. Sent it to a clean room lab that supposedly could rescue anything- nope. Nada. Zippo. It was a new sandisk card (yes it was real).
So although I was burnt once, to be honest I still only use 1 card 99.999999% of the time.
Paid gig, I would need 2 cards. But my work is now only for me, so 1 is fine.
Gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom