Single flash hummer-pics

I truly admire the hummer-pics that folks like Kramp (and now Keith) create using multiple flash rigs and backgrounds, but to be honest, I'm too lazy to go to that effort except on the rare occasion. Mostly, I try to use a single flash, on-camera, and a favorable position of the sun to illuminate my hummer-snaps. For those of you just starting out, who don't have multiple flashes/stands/etc., here's the kind of results you can expect from the single flash approach. These 4 were taken in my backyard this morning.

43760646.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 9315
View attachment 9316
View attachment 9317

Frank, your still the hummer KING!

Great shots, really like the 1st and the last, then again like them all :lol:
What is the name of this hummingbird, really like the colors. They are sharp and look great. I like the movement in the wings, with multiple light set up, it freezes them, many times covering faces etc. Its amazing what contortionist these little birdies are. I have pics and there bodies are all over the place.

Your spoiled too with these in your backyards. I think Im going to have to go on a road trip and set up my tent in many of your backyards :lol: :lol:

The pictures are of a male Anna's hummingbird, Keith. That's about the only species that visits my yard.

The multiple flash shots are like studio portraits, while the single flash shots are similar to candids. I prefer to show some motion in the hummer's wings, as they're truly kinetic creatures, and I feel it portrays them more naturally.

The hummers are endless entertainment, and it's a treat to have them right outside my back door.

Hi Frank;

Beautiful shots! I especially like the first one.

I'm assuming you're using an sb-800? Which lens and what shutter speed and aperture?

Thanks,
Brian

Okay that's it!!!!!!
Frank, both you and Keith are really going to (make) me try this aren’t you! :lol::lol::lol:

I don't know a darn thing about shooting a humming bird so I need some detailed instructions...
My wife tells me we have 17 pairs coming to our feeders all day long. I cannot confirm this number other than to say the little buggers are a pain in the butt as I walk from the shop to the house and they are buzzing all over the place.
So I've got the D2H, (3) SB-800 guns and enough stands and tripods to run everything off the camera. Now I need you (2) gents to layout what the heck to do.....
What lens?
Gun placement?
Camera settingsETC?

PGB

Oh blah. All of these are making me sick. I need to get off my *** and get outside and setup my feeders and my cam.

Excellent shots as always.

Thanks for sharing

Hey Doug

havent seen you or chatted in a while, did you ever forget about our spring adventure. LOL

Okay that's it!!!!!!

My wife tells me we have 17 pairs coming to our feeders all day long. I cannot confirm this number other than to say the little buggers are a pain in the butt as I walk from the shop to the house and they are buzzing all over the place.
So I've got the D2H, (3) SB-800 guns and enough stands and tripods to run everything off the camera. Now I need you (2) gents to layout what the heck to do.....
What lens?
Gun placement?
Camera settingsETC?

Tell you what, will come give you personal instruction! LOL.........in turn you can mentor me on use of light and composition! I think that is fair. :wink: :wink:

bfullmer said:
Hi Frank;

Beautiful shots! I especially like the first one.

I'm assuming you're using an sb-800? Which lens and what shutter speed and aperture?

Thanks, Brian. I used the 80-200/2.8 with the Keno Pro 1.4x tc. Shooting data as follows:

Model NIKON D70
Flash Used Yes
Focal Length 200 mm (280mm adjusted for 1.4x TC)
Exposure Time 1/500 sec
Aperture f/8 (f/11 adjusted for 1.4x TC)
ISO Equivalent 400
JPEG Quality fine
Exposure Program manual

Great hummers Frank. Someday, I'm going to try to learn to catch these little beasts.

Doug Barber said:
I don't know a darn thing about shooting a humming bird so I need some detailed instructions...

There not all that much to it, Doug. Just operate your flash(s) in manual mode, because the little hummers don't reflect enough light back to shut them off. Try using 1/4 power to start, and then adjust based on results.

Re: Hey Doug

Keith R. said:
Tell you what, will come give you personal instruction! LOL.........in turn you can mentor me on use of light and composition! I think that is fair. :wink: :wink:

Well that works for me Keith...
And no I have not forgot about our spring hunt yet.... But i'm running flat out trying to stay ahead of the work at this point.
I'll keep you posted...

Uncle Frank said:
There not all that much to it, Doug. Just operate your flash(s) in manual mode, because the little hummers don't reflect enough light back to shut them off. Try using 1/4 power to start, and then adjust based on results.

Thanks for the tips Frank....
I'll give it a gooooooo

Doug Barber said:
Okay that's it!!!!!!
Frank, both you and Keith are really going to (make) me try this aren’t you! :lol::lol::lol:

What lens?
Gun placement?

Great! Now Doug's gonna do Hummers, and the rest of you will never be able to keep up.

So far, this is my only hummer shot:

original.jpg

R

Ron Chapman

Wonderful shots, Frank. For years we have had Hummer feeders. They are fascinating to observe. I think if I could get one shot like yours or Keith's my life would be complete! Well..., almost. Moving in a couple of weeks - first thing to do is set up feeders, my D2Hs, 70-200, TC1.7 and go for it!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Hi Harris

Backdoctor said:
Doug Barber said:
Okay that's it!!!!!!

What lens?
Gun placement?

Great! Now Doug's gonna do Hummers, and the rest of you will never be able to keep up.

So far, this is my only hummer shot:

original.jpg

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now fess up, this is your hummer isnt it :wink: We know you doctors, LOL................ Best hummer pic I have seen yet. That new H3 hummer looks mighty tempting and priced right!

Latest threads

Top Bottom