Single flash portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 16, 2005.

1. I've been practicing with the 28-70/2.8 for the wedding I'll be shooting next weekend. Since I need to be mobile at
    the reception, I've been trying to refine my technique with the SB800 mounted on camera. Here's a few from tonight.

2. You can't get off that easy, what "technique" are you using; i.e., mode, flash setting, bounce, white card, etc., etc. I have found that iTTL works quite well but it doesn't give you full control of background so I am experimenting with AA setting with camera on manual which gives me better control of background (light/dark). I too have a wedding coming up in three weeks and I am scrambling around trying to refine my "technique." Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

3. Very nice Frank!! :D :D

4. OK, I'll walk you through my current approach... but it's still pretty rough.

I don't want shots where the subject is well illuminated, but the background is black, like this.

So the first thing I do is evaluate the available light, and adjust the ISO so that, with the aperture
    I'm going to use, the background won't be more that a stop darker than the subject. In the case
    of this shot, I used ISO 800, and haven't applied NR to the results.

I spot meter on the subject's face, and use iTTL mode on the flash. I'll reduce the flash power by
    as much as -1.0ev, depending on how close I am to the subject. I always use the diffuser
    dome, and put the flash head at something around a 75% upward tilt.

5. Thank you Frank that helped a lot. I do like the 2nd image and the lighting looks very natural. Good job.

6. Thanks, Dawg 8).