Single flash portraits

I've been practicing with the 28-70/2.8 for the wedding I'll be shooting next weekend. Since I need to be mobile at
the reception, I've been trying to refine my technique with the SB800 mounted on camera. Here's a few from tonight.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 7419
View attachment 7420
View attachment 7421
View attachment 7422
View attachment 7423

You can't get off that easy, what "technique" are you using; i.e., mode, flash setting, bounce, white card, etc., etc. I have found that iTTL works quite well but it doesn't give you full control of background so I am experimenting with AA setting with camera on manual which gives me better control of background (light/dark). I too have a wedding coming up in three weeks and I am scrambling around trying to refine my "technique." Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

greyflash said:
You can't get off that easy, what "technique" are you using; i.e., mode, flash setting, bounce, white card, etc., etc. I have found that iTTL works quite well but it doesn't give you full control of background so I am experimenting with AA setting with camera on manual which gives me better control of background (light/dark). I too have a wedding coming up in three weeks and I am scrambling around trying to refine my "technique." Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
OK, I'll walk you through my current approach... but it's still pretty rough.

I don't want shots where the subject is well illuminated, but the background is black, like this.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So the first thing I do is evaluate the available light, and adjust the ISO so that, with the aperture
I'm going to use, the background won't be more that a stop darker than the subject. In the case
of this shot, I used ISO 800, and haven't applied NR to the results.

View attachment 7425

I spot meter on the subject's face, and use iTTL mode on the flash. I'll reduce the flash power by
as much as -1.0ev, depending on how close I am to the subject. I always use the diffuser
dome, and put the flash head at something around a 75% upward tilt.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom