single shot 80-400vr

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cwilt, May 23, 2007.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It rained all day, but I did sneak out the back door and fired 1 shot. Exif data says the focus distance was 61.81 feet. It was 400mm handheld, 1/30 at f8 with ISO 320. Used my normal sharpening routine and no noise reduction. Processed with RPP. I'm sure I could dig out more detail with RML. Also keep in mind that it was completely overcast with very flat lighting.

I can live with this performance at 400mm handheld at 1/30th.

Here is the full frame.
    [​IMG]

Here is a 100% crop.
    [​IMG]

2. NewShooter

NewShooter Guest

Nice shot Charles. That lens is on my acquire list as well.

As soon as I started reading the first few words of your post, I thought to myself "I bet you're talking about Denver today". Then I confirmed it when I looked at your location. I live here too (Aurora), and know what you mean. It's really rare to see it rain the way it did today.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Otto,
    It was an east coast kind of day. Normally the storms just blow through, but this one sat on us all day. I'm not going to complain much because it sure makes things green when the sun does come out.

4. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    it's a wonderful lens and too highly criticized in my opinion. i had some wonderful images with it when i borrowed it for a weekend. congrats on your new acquisition!

Brian

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes it is working well Charles:>))

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Brian I sure agree with you

7. And here I am in New Hampshire where it is sunny and will be in the low 70's today. When I spoke to my wife last night she said it had rained pretty steadily in Colorado Springs last night. It is nice to see some more normal spring weather. Nice shot, BTW.

8. NewShooter

NewShooter Guest

I have been here for 32 years, and I don't remember ever seeing it so green. Everywhere I look it is green where it is usually brown. I know "we need the moisture", but I'll be glad when it gets back to "normal". This has been the strangest year so far. I'm sure there will be lots of photo opportunities that we haven't seen in a long time.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have been here about half as long and I don't remember it being this green either. Lots of streams and small water falls that are normally dry by this time of year.