1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sippin' a shake

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by woundedmallard, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Hey all,

Been a long while since I played with any retouching beyond levels and USM, for any type of artsy effect. Had an image of my son sippin' on a chocolate shake that I really liked but the image itself was lacking on the exposure side and wasn't particularly sharp. I think his Grandma will like it though :wink::biggrin:.
    Pulled the curves, sharpened then used Sonyam's Eye pop tutorial (thank you for that btw!) with a little exaggeration on the high pass filter then ran it with the "Orton Effect-djr" action I picked up from http://www.atncentral.com/ and here's what I came up with. C&C welcome.

original.

2. A little too much on the eyes, for mine. The rest is funky, though!

3. I think you achieved the look you were after -- am sure his Grandma will love it! :smile:

4. i like the way it turned out
    though, i DO wish there were a way for you to bring down the "HOTNESS" of the left side of the image... it remains a bit distracting, IMHO

5. Thanks all, appreciate your comments. Did a little burn on the HOT side- a little better? even dialed down the eyes a bit.
    Felt compelled to toss it into B&W and add some grain- just couldn't resist!
    original.

View attachment 244072

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  6. i do like both of these redos
    with the first one... i'm glad you "darkened" the left side of the image....
    but, i'd make BOTH side the same lightness.... as much as possible
    in other words, you overdid it a bit....
    i mean you no offense by saying that

7. No offense taken at all Greg, not to worry. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
    You mean the lgithness in the window or the face?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.