Sippy Straw

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Ottrott's Human, May 17, 2007.

1. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Wow Stuart! This is great.

What film?

2. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Mathew. I really liked this one. Taken Mother's Day when we were all out for brunch.

This is actually color film converted to B&W in CS3 which I know is heresy, but I thought the photo would work better in B&W so I tried the conversion and liked the result.

Kodak Portra 400 with the F5 and 28mm 1.4.

3. Nice Stu.............. has a great feel and mood.

As they say, the image is all important........ how you got it............ well, it's art............ so there you go! :cool:

G

4. Good goin' Stu. Ain't no heresy - whatever floats yer boat!:smile: By the way there is a very good Florida fine arts photographer who shoots color negs and scans them to make B&W prints. By the way I'd love to see you get back to your 'People I Know' series but shot on film. :smile:

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

this is nice. The eye, the blured almost mirror image.

6. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Graeme!

Thanks Ray!! Funny that you mention that series because I was always trying to make those shots look as much like B&W film as I could via digital and photoshop.
    Great idea!:smile:

:biggrin: That's what I liked about it; Sam in the BG becoming sort of a reflection of Anna.
    Thanks Mike!

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow... this looks great Stuart! Of course we are very familiar with your 'kidpic' portraiture style in digital, but this is quite a departure. Ususlly, I find your rendition of skin to be luscious smoothness, but here you show - celebrate even - the textures of her face and neck. Also the appearence of her features, especially her eyes, is completely different ... almost abstracted, but very much in place.

By the way, this photo confirms my own belief that Portra has grain structure and contrasts similar to black and white film. It almost looks like color Delta.

8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Chris, Thank you so much for such a meaningful battery of comments. I find that I have completely different goals for the final look when shooting film versus digital. It's the main reason I like to dabble in both mediums.

Your comment about the grain structure of Portra is very interesting. That would help explain why I was as pleased with the conversion as I was. This conversion was as simple as the new B&W mode in CS3. I just clicked auto and then gave it a very slight increase in contrast. To convert digital pic's I use a fancy plug-in (FM's B&W Pro), but this photo seemed to convert easily.

Thanks!

9. The glance to the right... perfect!