Siqma 18-50 2.8 macro query

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Anybody here have first hand experience with the current model Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 macro? Would be interested in your use as normal substitute and as macro substitute, especially whether the CA causes you problems. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have the lens and really am enjoying it Harry. Here are a couple of shots-one macro and one or two just regular. I upgraded from a 18-55 Nikon wide angle and I'm really happy. It might focus a little more slowly (although it's close), but the extra aperture really helps and I've enjoyed having a macro close at had that is so portable.

Lens.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Natalie%27s%20Wedding-8320.

3. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

Haven't messed about too much with macro shots on it yet. Haven't really examined them closely for CA or other issues. Obviously, it's not up to par with the 50mm EX Macro sigma I have which goes 1:1, but seems like it'd be handy to have this close-up shooting on a wide/normal zoom.

Here's a couple shots (bear in mind that it's hard to get sharp macro shots in my reef tank, due to the glass and the flow):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. epicfish

epicfish

May 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    ^ those are some nice eagle eye zoas. :)

5. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

Thanks! Didn't know they're called eagle eye - I'd just been calling them 'the orange zoas', 'cause my other ones are green. heh

6. Thanks for the feedback and the photos, Paul. I do see a bit of CA along the top of the treeline in your last photo, but otherwise the color and contrast are good.

7. Thanks for the photos...they help. Do you know what lens apature and zoom setting these were shot at....or is their only zoom setting at which the macro functions (as on the 70-300 APO, which I own).

8. kevin.sinn

kevin.sinn Guest

Hi Harry,

I purchased this lens because I wanted a wider apterture than my 18-200VR could give me. I haven't played with many macro shots yet but the following were among the first I took with it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both were shot wide open. So far I'm very happy with the lens. It focuses fast, it's well built and it's sharp. I've since sold the 18-200 and am now going with the Sigma and the 70-300VR.

Cheers!

9. Thanks, Kevin. That's a nice shot of your(?) child...and the bokeh looks good in the background. What you've done is what I am considering doing...except my 70-300 would be the Sigma APO which I already own, which is replaced for sports shooting with a Nikon 80-200 2.8 and a pair of Kenko teleextenders. Your reaction is valuable. Thanks.

10. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    i too have the sigma for a few days, and while i havent photographed anything worthwile, i can say its sharp, focusses reliably and fast enough. its also small and as the typical sigma EX build quality and finish that i happen to like a lot. I think i will have some more imgs on monday, so i might post one or two :)

11. Thanks, Kanzir, please do.

12. kevin.sinn

kevin.sinn Guest

A macro example

Hi Harry,

Here's a macro shot for you. Taken today on my deck after the storm.

D200, Sigma 18-50mm Macro @ 50mm, 1/80s - f/8, ISO 400

[​IMG]

Cheers!

13. PixelFactory

PixelFactory Guest

Here are a few shots I have taken with this lens. I have not had any issues with CA and love the sharpness. Also the minimum focusing distance is almost inside the lens itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todd

14. Hey, that's a beaut of an interesting shot, thanks Kevin.

15. Thanks, Todd. Man, I can *feel* that Rawlings on my fingertips!

16. Macros, Potraits, Landscapes .. this lens is upto the job.