Discussion in 'People' started by Frits, Mar 25, 2007.

1. These are the daughters of some friends we had over for dinner yesterday.
    Just a simple, quick snap with a single on camera flash.

D2x, AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4
  2. Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Frits. Something seems off about this shot. Maybe slightly OFF? or its just the shallow depth of field. I think you have shot better in the past.
  3. It may be slightly OOF. Mind you that it was shot from a bit of a distance also, with just the single flash.
    Personally I would have preferred the background a bit darker also. Since I flashed from a distance, the BG came out brighter then I expected.
    I'm planning a portrait session of these friends with a better thought out setup - should be fun.
  4. Frits, love it. Very nice feel...
  5. Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Frits, I played with this real quick in lightroom and messed with curves added a bit of contrast and you can really make thsi pop a bit more.
  6. Thanks James. Yeah, not the most colorful image I guess, I may liven up the original a bit - not sure yet. Actually, the full size original looks nice and certainly sharp enough.
    I'll probably give it a try.
  7. Hey Frits, you can certainly tell they are sisters! :biggrin:

Looks sharp enough to my old eyes!

Personally, for an on camera flash image........... i thinks it's cool!

Did you bounce the flash or use a diffuser of some kind... excuse my ignorance in regards to flash use.......... I'm a natural light kind of guy so haven't a clue about this stuff!

8. Thanks Graeme!
    I'm with you concerning available light - I prefer it anytime.
    But there are times you need light. I love toying with the Nikon CLS, for example.
    In this case, indoors, evening darkness, for a quick snap I used an on camera flash.
    I used my SB-800, bounced at about 45 deg. or so (since I was at a bit of a distance and needed the light!) with the Nikon provided little reflector mounted (omni bounce-like reflector).
    Works perfectly.
  9. Thanks for that Frits......... the few times I've tried to use flash, I used ABetterBounceCard technique, the one with the bit of white card......... and I have to say, even with my limited knowledge of flash......... it gave a very natural feel!

No shadows.......... and even light!

It's that good............ and more importantly for me with my limited funds........... pennies for a piece of white card!

By the way.......... the 35,, f/1.4 I was watching on fleabay... went for £240.00.............. (approx $500+ US dollars............ too rich for me).........

Gutted??????????? You better believe it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. Aaiii :eek: , that would not be for me either.
    There will be more Graeme, you will find it to be worth the hunt when you do get one.