1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sisters

Discussion in 'People' started by Frits, Mar 25, 2007.

1. These are the daughters of some friends we had over for dinner yesterday.
    Just a simple, quick snap with a single on camera flash.

D2x, AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Frits. Something seems off about this shot. Maybe slightly OFF? or its just the shallow depth of field. I think you have shot better in the past.

3. It may be slightly OOF. Mind you that it was shot from a bit of a distance also, with just the single flash.
    Personally I would have preferred the background a bit darker also. Since I flashed from a distance, the BG came out brighter then I expected.
    I'm planning a portrait session of these friends with a better thought out setup - should be fun.

4. Frits, love it. Very nice feel...

5. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Frits, I played with this real quick in lightroom and messed with curves added a bit of contrast and you can really make thsi pop a bit more.

6. Thanks James. Yeah, not the most colorful image I guess, I may liven up the original a bit - not sure yet. Actually, the full size original looks nice and certainly sharp enough.
    I'll probably give it a try.

7. Hey Frits, you can certainly tell they are sisters! :biggrin:

Looks sharp enough to my old eyes!

Personally, for an on camera flash image........... i thinks it's cool!

Did you bounce the flash or use a diffuser of some kind... excuse my ignorance in regards to flash use.......... I'm a natural light kind of guy so haven't a clue about this stuff!

G

8. Thanks Graeme!
    I'm with you concerning available light - I prefer it anytime.
    But there are times you need light. I love toying with the Nikon CLS, for example.
    In this case, indoors, evening darkness, for a quick snap I used an on camera flash.
    I used my SB-800, bounced at about 45 deg. or so (since I was at a bit of a distance and needed the light!) with the Nikon provided little reflector mounted (omni bounce-like reflector).
    Works perfectly.

9. Thanks for that Frits......... the few times I've tried to use flash, I used ABetterBounceCard technique, the one with the bit of white card......... and I have to say, even with my limited knowledge of flash......... it gave a very natural feel!

No shadows.......... and even light!

It's that good............ and more importantly for me with my limited funds........... pennies for a piece of white card!

By the way.......... the 35,, f/1.4 I was watching on fleabay... went for £240.00.............. (approx $500+ US dollars............ too rich for me).........

Gutted??????????? You better believe it! :mad:  :mad:  :mad: 

G

10. Aaiii :eek:  , that would not be for me either.
    There will be more Graeme, you will find it to be worth the hunt when you do get one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.