Site with Flash Diffusers Compared

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by barriosa, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Well it was bound to happen. Someone took most of the flash diffusers available and set up a nice test to see how they compare.

Click here to see the review.

2. thank you for posting the link

3. My pleasure; I was in the same boat a lot of people are just trying to figure out which one suits me best.

4. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Thanks for posting!

5. So Fred,

Which do you like better?

6. Interesting test..

7. Thanks for the link, I have looked at these gadgets many times and wondered if they are worth the money. The lightsphere seems to give the best results in my opinion.

8. Interesting link. Thanks.

9. I think its a toss up between the LS2 and the Demb Flip-it.

Is it just me or does the new GF whaletail look like the secret love child of the Demb flip it and the lightsphere 2?

I lost my Cloud lightsphere last night so now I'm looking for a replacement.

10. Saw it and I might be getting it. I love the fact you could slide in colored gels and that it fits all with the strap. :smile: Im only scared that the flipping mechanism might get loose after some use

11. I lost my LS2 Cloud at a wedding on Friday. Started to order a WT but changed my mind. I still have three domes for the LS2 Cloud so I ordered a replacement instead.

Like the options with the WT but, just like with everything else (except nikon products), I don't order the 1st gen of a new model. I think I'll wait for him to work out all the kinks and wait for the WT version 2

12. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    secret love child of a menage-a-trois between the flip-it, the lightsphere, and a toilet. :p

aside from carrying around umbrellas, the lightsphere wins in my book.

i have the clear LSII with the dome. its brilliant.

13. Kind of wondering if anyone has bought and tried the whale tail yet. Anyone?

14. I have the Flip-It, LS2 and Lumaquest softbox.

Of the three I like the Flip-It Jumbo the best.

The Lightsphere is good for less than 20 ft.
    Lumaquest is good for over 20 ft.

Flip-It works at all distances and can easily adjust light levels with the swivel.

I don't like the looks of the Lighsphere and find it looks so odd that it draws attention. Flip-It to me looks more professional.

15. I have the Lightsphere Cloud and Clear models and you definitely nailed the distance limitations on the head, except I think I’d say maybe 10 or 15 feet for the cloudy, 20 for the clear. If I ever feel like buying another diffuser it will be the Flip-it.

No way I’m I buying a diffuser with so much resemblance to a toilet but I’d sure love to hear about someone’s real world experience with it. I’m sure Gary Fong is hard at work on the next model; let’s just hope it doesn’t look as bad as the Whale Tail.