Sizing question--Please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pbenedic, Mar 30, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    So, I've delved into the WHCC thing, but have not uploaded a batch yet.
    Question: How do you size your photos? What are the EXACT steps to go through to, say, get a BUNCH of photos sized to 4x6, at 300dpi, and not lose any of the file??
    Can someone here walk me through the exact steps??
    Once I've converted my RAW files and have them in PS, what do I do??

Thanks a bunch to anyone who can help answer such a seemingly stupid question.

2. If I want a 4x6 image I just take the full size image and use the crop tool in photoshop set at 4x6 and 300 DPI, drag it from corner to corner on my image and click on enter. After doing further processing I save the image as a JPEG at a 10 quality setting and it is then ready for WHCC. If not in a sRGB color space convert it before saving as a JPEG. You do this by clicking on Image/Mode/Convert and then enter the sRGB color space. This will meet all their specifications. Send me an Email if you have further questions and I will give you more detail.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon. That helps me too (and probably a bunch of others....;-)).

Frank

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Here's what I do:
    First step, do all the image adjustment stuff like white balance, curving, etc. on the NEF file. (I use ACR - if there's a bunch of photos all with the same lighting and exposure, this can be batched too!)

Then, I start a new Action. Open the file by double clicking it in the File browser. Go to the Image Size dialog and turn off Resample. Change the image dimensions to what you want (4" by 6.014" in my case). Turn Resample back on, and set it to 'Bicubic Sharper', then change the DPI to 300. The pixel dimensions will change. Click OK and the photo resizes. Now change the Color Profile to your choice for printing and save the photo in a folder for the batch. Close the image window and stop recording the action.

Now from the file browser, select all the files you want to process. In the browser's 'Automate' menu, select 'Batch'.

The Batch dialog has three parts, the first part is 'Play', so select the action you just recorded. The second part is 'Source', select 'File Browser' and 'Override Action Open Commands'. In the third section, 'Destination' select Folder from the menu, and click the choose button to locate your destination folder. Check 'Override Action Save As Commands', and click 'Ok'.

I just did this to be sure of the order of the steps, and Photoshop prepared 18 photos for printiing in half the time it took me to write this, but I'm late for work now, so I gotta run!

(PS, Spelling Cow isn't loading, so forgive my inability to spell.)

5. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Awesome help!!

Thanks so much.
    Keep you all posted.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I wouldn't exactly call Russel Brown's style American. More like goofy-nerd American. :roll: But he's an excellent explainer.

8. Chris and Monte,

Actually I do much the same but that is not what Pat asked IMO. He is doing his first upload to WHCC (a printer) who has very specific requirements and for a person new to PS they suggest exactly what I spelled out to Pat. I didn't feel he was ready to start playing with actions and other such more complicated algorithms. While I agree that the method you both specified is better in the long run (I use Fred Miranda's software for down sizing and upsizing) it can easily be confusing for those new to PS. The procedure I specified will give Pat prints that look exactly like his file submitted (providing a calibrated monitor).

9. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    All of your posts helped...

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks a bunch!!

10. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Whoa!!

Discovered a problem: in the resizing steps, what the heck do you do about images that are rotated?? It's one thing to make a "portrait" oriented image 4x6, but another story to do it on a "landscape" oriented one.
    How do you deal with this??

Pat

11. Re: Whoa!!

In your crop tool display it shows width and height with two little arrows between them, just click on the arrows and it will reverse where the 4 and the 6 go.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. Hey Paul, no problem at all. I was just trying to keep it as simple as I could for his initial go at this. I'm sure as time goes along he will learn to use actions and many other things that PS provides to those that are ready for it. I remember when I first started in PS, it was daunting to say the least. People would give me things to try and I couldn't even find the tool let alone figure out how to use it. I always appreciate your input as you have a lot of knowledge to share. :D :D

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well this answers that same question that I asked. Never got an answer.

Thank you this helps
    Gale

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

17. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

If you use the Image->Image Size for the resizing when creating your Batch Action, you can specify a %age instead of an actual measurement. To get the percentage, you need to open an image before you start creating the action and do the resize using inches - then look at the percentage option - write it down and when you create the batch, switch to percentage and input the figure you noted down. This will then work for either landscape or portrait format images.

18. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

19. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Paul,

That shouldn't really affect the finished print (although it will of course affect the way the image looks on screens if the image is dispalyed at other zoom settings than the 25%, 33% 50% etc).