Skagit Flats 04/23/2005

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Apr 24, 2005.

1. So yesterday in the afternoon I decided to go look for some raptors, Bald Eagles, Hawks, Owls, etc., this is the right time of year of course. Saw 2, so far away I don't know what they were. Light was not great, but when did that ever stop me anyway, eh? So, off to the Reserve off Fir Island Road. And what do I find but a bunch of GBH, way off in the distance and a few shore birds. I'm about to leave when this guy decides to get at least close enough to shoot:

Feeding GBH and Willets, at least I think they are Willets. Notice that the GBH has 2 fish in his beak, and I like the water dripping off the end:
    PDSC1247Frame.sized.

Standing GBH and Willet:
    DSC1251Frame.sized.

So then he decides to fly. Ever wonder if the D70 can track a bird in flight? After I blew the first couple of shots, my bad, I think it worked rather well:

In Flight #1, my favorite of the 3:
    DSC1256Frame.sized.

In Flight #2:
    DSC1257Frame.sized.

In Flight #3:
    DSC1258Frame.sized.

So then I walk back to my car to go search for more raptors, and I take my dog for a short walk after packing all my gear in the car. I come back and find this Robin sitting on the fence by my car. I don't think I have enough time to get the tripod out and set up, so I grab the camera with the 500mm mounted, plus the TC-14E, plus the Wimberly Sidekick and handhold the whole thing leaning against my car for this full-frame shot:

Robin with Nesting Material:
    DSC1264Frame.sized.

All in all, not a bad day, even if all the Raptors in the State of Washington took the day off :lol: .

2. Excellent Bill, you have really captured some nice shots here. I love the pic. of the robin with the bug in his mouth. Well taken images.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    1st 2 are super shots,

The 1st in-flight shot is also very nice. Soemthing's not quite there with the #'s 2 & # in-flights shots. They're just not tack sharp. Nice Robin closeup too. So, where's your 2H?

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Thanks, Gordon, although I am pretty sure that was nesting material and not a bug in the mouth. It wasn't moving enough to be a bug :lol:

6. Re: 1st 2 are super shots,

Thanks, Steve, and you are absolutely right about #2 and #3, but you should have seen the pre-#1 ones :oops: . It is tough enough keeping focus with the speed of the 2H, my point here being that the D70 is not the 2H, but it still ain't bad. Even better, I like the water in the 1st one best as well.

As to the 2H, after I got it back from the Meter Failure problem last fall it would intermittently give me an "Err" message on the first shutter press. This goes away after the second press and then all seems fine. Happened maybe 1 time out of 30 or 40 startups. As of late it has been more like 60-70% of the time. Word is this sounds like the beginning of "Shutter Failure" which is strange since the shutter was replaced last June. To make matters worse my command dials sometimes don't work, an "off-and-on" usually fixes this. And if all of THAT isn't enough, a couple of weeks ago the camera just refused to fire. All the viewfinder and LCD bits seemed to work, but pressing the shutter, nada. It took a complete reset to get it going. Lens and battery changes did not make a difference. Happened again just the other day. Given this is 3 major issues in 18 months on a camera with only about 20,000 images, I think I may have just been one of the "lucky ones" to get one on the bottom end of the bell curve. My hope is that they will decide that enough is enough and just send me a new one.

Although the D70 ain't bad, I much prefer the 2H for "fast movers", well, "any movers" :lol:

7. Very nice Bill!! :D :D :D

8. Thanks. One thing I learn every time I go out is to always keep my eyes and mind open, and that no matter what, something good will turn up.

9. ahhhh, lovely images! Thanks for these... esp the robin, my fav bird (it means that winter in the great white north here just MIGHT be over! LOL) That GBH in flight is superb!

10. Thanks, Sandi. We have been seeing quite a number of Robins around this spring, nice and bright like this one. I was going to post the Flight Shot of this bird as well, but I didn't think a bare fence post with just a hint of "Robin Tail" was all that intriguing :wink: . My next big challenge is flight shots of small birds, these little buggers are really fast and much harder to acquire with the longer lenses. Of course with the longer lenses I don't get much opportunity to see myself reflected in the subjects eye :lol:

11. Bill
    I like the first one with the heron and the willets I sort of thought they might be lesser yellow legs (but what do I know :oops: )
    I was watching a robin here today gathering nesting material but couldn't quite get the angle I wanted. The first heron flight shot is sweet there are hard to track when they get a head of steam.

12. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Great shots. you are fortunate to have a such a variety.

13. Thanks, Mike. On a local forum today, where I posted this same set, one of the folks said "Greater Yellow Legs" and while we looking at Sibley's last night my wife thought that as well. I think I'll have to go a look a lot closer again myself.

As to the GBH in flight, I am working on those. My brain is still not doing nearly as good as I would like it in catching up with these birds, but one of these days for sure.....

14. Thanks, Greg. One thing that I am learning is that there is much more variety around when I keep my eyes and mind open. I don't expect that I will ever become a real "bird watcher", I am far too impatient, but it is so much fun to get outdoors expecting to find one certain thing and then be so surprised by what actually shows up. For me some of it is finding the right resources. Many of the places I am finding to shoot, which are very close to home, have come from checking with the local Audobon chapters.

Here is a good one for you, we are going out to photograph Puffins and Aucklets next month, all within a couple of hours of home. And here I never even thought these birds existed in these parts. Always something new to learn.

I'll bet the same is true in most parts of the country as well.