Skater Boy and the Train

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, May 15, 2007.

1. Another 35Ti shot from today. Taken out of my truck window. With over a 100 trains passing through here every day, not an uncommon sight!

[​IMG]

2. i like the dimensions of all this boxy composition

3. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Looks like you are getting some great shots out of this, Ray! Keep them coming!

4. Thanks guys. This is a good example of the limitations of a 35mm lens. My l05 would have done better here I think.

5. I like it! Ray, the beauty of photography is in the composition. That's why photo masters are masters. All the images shot with a 35mm lens when they should have been shot with a 105 or even 200 but actually ending up better. One single lens and good composition beats any telephoto lens, any day.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I agree that a 35mm lens is not the choice for car seat shooting (which I do a lot of. My camera rides on the seat next to me.) I have a 35mm on my rf too. I need to do 2 things differently than I do when shooting zoom lenses or even a 50mm. 1) Move in closer. 2) Pay close attention to the outliers, that is stuff at the edges or corners. There is much more of it in a 35mm field of view than in a normal view.

You did #2 perfectly here. I like the broken symmetry of this composition.

7. I kinda agree with both you and Chris. Just using one lens, especially a mild wide angle, really forces you think about the shot and composition! And thanks for the comment Ned!

Yep, it is a conumdrum - use one lens and adjust to its strengths and weaknesses or maybe keep two bodies handy - my little EM isn't much bigger than the 35Ti! Well, on this one it took 3 tries before I caught the subject between two cars. And once again, thanks Chris!