Ski action (pics)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Transmit, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Had my Fuji S3 with me in Winter Park, CO and managed to catch part of the Paul Mitchell Freestyle Frenzy competition. The S3 isn't an ideal camera for fast action photography due to its slow operation but I still managed to get some good shots. More in this series at my snow sports gallery.

wp16.

wp15.

wp20.

wp13.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice captures, Paul. I like them all...did the camera and lenses perform normally in the cold weather?

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots.
    You seemed to stop the action quite well.

Looks like a rough ride :>)))

5. Some nice stuff. I wanna go skiing again! (Preferably not with 13kg of equipment like last time, that made lifts inconvienient :p )

Ming

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Hey Paul,
    Nice pictures -some questions
    1. How come your gallery prompts me to download flash player- any idea? I already use an album software with simpleviewer and flash and I have everything it takes to see my own albums, but yours prompts me to download something, which I hesitate to do normally.
    I point this out just in case you have other people with this issue, and because I Would like to see your pictures.

Are these shots heavily cropped? With a 70mm lens you must have been right on top of these people? (or perhaps underneath them?)- can you talk alittle more about your relative position with regard to the competitors?

FYI I can go to your gallery page and see thigns fine, so perhaps it is the link you provided that is bad.
    MY favorite shot is the inverted guy with the Fischer Lunar skis crossed. IT owuld make an excellent advert for the ski brand.

7. Not sure, what browser and operating system do you use? Can you see the photos at all? What happens if you re download Flash (maybe you don't have the latest version?)

Yes, they are very heavily cropped. Actually 2 of the shots were with my 70-210 lens but I found this wasn't giving me wide enough coverage. I found about 50mm to be the sweet spot. I would estimate I was 50 - 100 feet away from the skiers.

8. Paul... I envy you... -in a good way though :wink:

Yesterday I spent 4 hours swimming, kitesurfing and playing with Lambros at the sea.... it was 28 Centigrade -very odd even for us in Cyprus.

Tomorrow I'll be moving to more ...winter climates in Greece and then all around Europe and I'm anxious to see some white landscapes.

Great captures of hot dogging and half pipe-ing! :cool: