Skiing after sunset.

It gets dark pretty fast when the sun dips down past the horizon and you're trying to get those last few runs in for the day.

With my son finally at the helm, I cranked up the ISO and opened up the aperture with the hope of getting a few non-blurry shots before our getaway ended.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. My daughter was still running the slalom course even with the buoys being tough to see.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Great shots! Guessing the distance to the subject was about 30', that is a little over 2' DOF. I'm surprised it is that much! LOL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great shots! Guessing the distance to the subject was about 30', that is a little over 2' DOF. I'm surprised it is that much! LOL!
35 feet! Pretty thin DOF at f1.6, but it really was dark. The photos don't do it justice. Fast glass and ISO 2000 make it look pretty bright. I just lock the focus reticle on the eyes with back button focus and hope enough is in the focal plane.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
35 feet! Pretty thin DOF at f1.6, but it really was dark. The photos don't do it justice. Fast glass and ISO 2000 make it look pretty bright. I just lock the focus reticle on the eyes with back button focus and hope enough is in the focal plane.
@35' - the DOF was about 3.2' @f1.6. (My guess of 30' was pretty good considering I've never skiied! LOL!)

@ f1.4, the DOF at 35' is 2.85'.

Nice Mitch! I've only skied on snow. I have done it with a couple dogs pulling me, but no boats.

#1 looks great!!
#2 is a little soft?
I never shot waterskiing at 1.4, but I used to acquire focus and just lock it. Worked fine at f5.6. The rope never changes length, so the distance from the skier to the boat is always 35' or whatever. These overall are great. I hope you are printing these in a book or folio. My kids are now 35+ and live throughout the us, we rarely ski together now. We love the old prints. Personally I do not ski anymore myself- my orthopedic surgeon would reclaim the bolts in my knee if I ever did. We think these times will never change, but everyone grows and move on.
Thanks for sharing, these bring back great memories!!
Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
#1 looks great!!
#2 is a little soft?
I never shot waterskiing at 1.4, but I used to acquire focus and just lock it. Worked fine at f5.6. The rope never changes length, so the distance from the skier to the boat is always 35' or whatever. These overall are great. I hope you are printing these in a book or folio. My kids are now 35+ and live throughout the us, we rarely ski together now. We love the old prints. Personally I do not ski anymore myself- my orthopedic surgeon would reclaim the bolts in my knee if I ever did. We think these times will never change, but everyone grows and move on.
Thanks for sharing, these bring back great memories!!
Gary
Thanks, Gary.

I kept looking at #2. It's the only one I applied any NR to. It's really the darkest of the bunch and was quite noisy. Perhaps the softness was increased with the NR.

Sorry to hear you don't ski anymore. We all really love it. I'm starting to look for a house on a lake in Winter Haven. I'd like my own place with my own boat on a lift. These were taken at a house I rented in Montverde. The owner even rented me his nice ski boat for the weekend.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom