Skin Tones: 85/1.8 vs. 85/1.4

This has been my main question as of late. I have the 1.4 and love the way it renders skin tones (as I'm sure many others do as well), and compared to my 70-200, it blows portraits away, IMO. Side by side, skin tones with the 70-200 look splotchy and overly warm, whereas the 85/1.4 looks smooth and even. Now what I'm wondering is, lens lust has the better of me and I've been thinking of dropping down to the 85/1.8 if it does skin nearly as well so I can pickup a sigma 30/1.4 for night photography and such. Does anyone have any direct experience with the 1.8/1.4 comparison or samples pictures comparing the two? Any help would be truly appreciated.

Brian

N

Nuteshack

stick with what u got and add a 50 1.4 to the mix ...;-))

thanks for the great thoughts everyone, but the lens sold tonight and now i've got a great chunk of change in my pocket and wondering what to do with it!

Brian

Chris I am now stuggling with weather to save up for the 85 1.4 or just get the 50 1.4 which I can get now! Lens lust is such a bad disease, have you had any experience with the 50 1.4. - Jeff

I was mucking around with off cam lighting for this one.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I did a first communion shoot with my 85mm f1.4 today, and although I use the 85mm a lot, I'm extremely happy with the results that I got again. I shot mainly between f2 and f2.8. This really is a people lens!

This has been my main question as of late. I have the 1.4 and love the way it renders skin tones (as I'm sure many others do as well), and compared to my 70-200, it blows portraits away, IMO. Side by side, skin tones with the 70-200 look splotchy and overly warm, whereas the 85/1.4 looks smooth and even. Now what I'm wondering is, lens lust has the better of me and I've been thinking of dropping down to the 85/1.8 if it does skin nearly as well so I can pickup a sigma 30/1.4 for night photography and such. Does anyone have any direct experience with the 1.8/1.4 comparison or samples pictures comparing the two? Any help would be truly appreciated.

Brian
I agree with you in regards to the 70-200mm being overly warm for portraits. I find the warm tone to be nice when shooting plants or scenery. I don't own a 70-200mm, but seen plent of shots with it. Its rendering is very similar to the 105mm VR, very warm. I do however, own the 85mm 1.4 your correct about its renderings. Very accurate, and linear. Just on a side note, my 80-200mm 2.8 two touch also creates images similar in contrast to the 85mm 1.4, not too warm, but just right. My theory is that telephoto lenses made circa 1990's share this common trait. Could be wrong though lol.

I really like my 85 1.8. I don't shoot with it as much as I should or would like to. I keep my 35-70 2.8 on the D50 most of the time to catch the little one in action.

As for the topic at hand, I find my 1.8 does just fine, if not great with skin tones. I haven't shot with the 1.4, so I can't compare, but I'm more than pleased with what I have...

N

Nuteshack

the 1.8 is a fantastic lens..and the bokeh is more pleasing to my eye than the 50s..diff anyway, simular to my 80-200 2.8

available light @f1.8, 320iso
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i'm over my 85 1.4 lust and going for the 105f2 dc instead...hopefully this will be the end of the madness, but prolly not ..lol
;-))

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom