Skin tones and Epson R1800

Anyone else having trouble here...

I love the prints I get, with the exception of the skin tones. I calibrate the monitor with a spyder3pro.

I thought it was just me, but then I sprang for the $3 color calibration kit from MPIX. They send you a print and a CD. CD should look like print.

They do. :biggrin: OK, so I go to print on the Epson R1800. The skin tones are slightly redder. I would call it a color cast, but it doesn't seem to transfer into the whites. I'm stuck. :frown:

The test pic from Mpix looks like the monitor. The skin tones from the R1800 look "rosey." FWIW, the rest of the print from the R1800 kicks Mpix butt. Sorry, mpix. :redface:

Any thoughts on what to do, or is this a quirk of the printer. I noticed that people pointed out a change in the R1900. Something about adding another yellow due to skin tones?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :m23:

Yea, I'm using Epson Premium Luster, and their ink, and their profile.

I'm soft proofing in CS3 and I'm still not seeing the "rosey" glow on the monitor. It just shows up in the printed pic. :confused:

OH, the inks are all "relatively" new, with six months, and I cleaned the heads in case something was clogged. Still same same.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the printer driver (Advanced tab, Color management/color controls (upper rt)) is it set to Epson Standard, Epson Vivid, or Adobe RGB?

In PS, convert the picture to aRGB, then send to the printer while the printer knows it's supposed to be aRGB --- Gamma 2.2 for my PC

At least, that is what gets as close to "acceptable" as my R1900 will do.

Most of my other printers have been Canon, and if Canon gets their dye color stabilized (100 years in a dark box don't count -- I want 20 or 30 years on a house wall!) then I'm throwing my Epsons OUT.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom