1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Skin tones and Epson R1800

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by LindaM, Aug 18, 2009.

1. LindaM

LindaM

Jul 24, 2006
    NH
    Anyone else having trouble here...

I love the prints I get, with the exception of the skin tones. I calibrate the monitor with a spyder3pro.

I thought it was just me, but then I sprang for the $3 color calibration kit from MPIX. They send you a print and a CD. CD should look like print.

They do. :biggrin: OK, so I go to print on the Epson R1800. The skin tones are slightly redder. I would call it a color cast, but it doesn't seem to transfer into the whites. I'm stuck. :frown:

The test pic from Mpix looks like the monitor. The skin tones from the R1800 look "rosey." FWIW, the rest of the print from the R1800 kicks Mpix butt. Sorry, mpix. :redface:

Any thoughts on what to do, or is this a quirk of the printer. I noticed that people pointed out a change in the R1900. Something about adding another yellow due to skin tones?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :m23:

2. Do you have a printer profile for the ink/media combo so you can soft-proof before printing?

Sean

3. LindaM

LindaM

Jul 24, 2006
    NH
    Yea, I'm using Epson Premium Luster, and their ink, and their profile.

I'm soft proofing in CS3 and I'm still not seeing the "rosey" glow on the monitor. It just shows up in the printed pic. :confused: 

OH, the inks are all "relatively" new, with six months, and I cleaned the heads in case something was clogged. Still same same.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  4. FWIW, the canned profiles haven't always been that good for me, for any manufacturer of printer - I usually have to create a custom profile of my own for each paper/ink combo.

5. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    In the printer driver (Advanced tab, Color management/color controls (upper rt)) is it set to Epson Standard, Epson Vivid, or Adobe RGB?

In PS, convert the picture to aRGB, then send to the printer while the printer knows it's supposed to be aRGB --- Gamma 2.2 for my PC

At least, that is what gets as close to "acceptable" as my R1900 will do.

Most of my other printers have been Canon, and if Canon gets their dye color stabilized (100 years in a dark box don't count -- I want 20 or 30 years on a house wall!) then I'm throwing my Epsons OUT.

6. Are you turning off color management?
    Windows or MAC?
    What are the details of your print settings in PS?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.