Skin tones too pale ?

Discussion in 'People' started by Harry S., Jan 6, 2006.

1. After I eventually located the viewfinder of my camera :)
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=59537
    (I was actually attaching the remote cord), I also shot the skull cabinets.

My approach was a bit different. I shot 9 images in portrait mode to achieve
    a different perspective. Since I did not care very much about the correct
    nodal point, I knew there would be parallax problems involved and so it was,
    especially on the near (left) part of the scenery.

I stitched the individual pics manually in PS and there was a lot of
    transforming and masking involved to correct the parallax shifts.

The final pic also shows what an antique brick (D1X) is still capable of.

Lens: 85/2.8 PC-Nikkor, with a CP to reduce some of the reflections on the glass.

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Incredilbe shots, Harry, flawless in every way in can detect. A bit on the creepy side, but very well done, just the same! :cool:

3. Steve, I appreciate your compliment, not least because the pix was a lot of work.
    I guess I will donate a print to the curator of the anthropology section.

Cheers

4. Nice shoot Harry, and sure a lot of work, but it payed off!

BTW: did you get the "Picture release" from all the shown "heads"? :wink:

5. v cool shot, a lot of work no doubt but the result looks great :smile:

Sil

PS, the skull in the 3rd drawer on the right is kinda spooky

6. Harry,
    I know you went to a lot of work here and it is good. It is odd to me to have these skulls on display. I am certain there is some historical scientific significance to it. I wonder if they are saving a spot on the shelf for mine?
    Dave

7. Excellent Harry, you are to be commended. I would think the curator would be ecstatic to get a print of this.

8. Wonderful image in both conception and execution. Also a very witty title.

9. Unsettling to view, but you did a good job on it. The curator is going to be very happy with it.

10. Excellent stitching, a lot of work went into this.
    I concur with the others... it bothers me to see body parts on display, no matter what the purpose, unless the 'owner' actually donated them..... A lot of the First Nations' people are asking for their relatives' bones back from museums for proper burials, and I have to admit, I do agree. I'm a big believer in honouring the dead. Can you tell us more about this museum, it's purpose and who these heads belonged to? I'm curious how they came to be here. Very interesting...

11. Thanks everyone. I usually stitch my panos with PTGui, but due to reasons mentioned above (no nodal point, different focal planes) I had to do it manually. One day I will try the same shot with a WA lens.

Good remark. Maybe I can help to clear a view issues.

1) The place is the Natural History Museum in Vienna (my working place). The anthropology section is very close to my department (entomology) and I know the curator very well.
    The collections of our museum are among the largest of the world, rivalled or exceeded only by the respective museums in London, Paris, Berlin, the Field Museum (Chicago) or the Smithsonian (Washington). But each museum has its specialties and strengths, that is why all collections in the world are in permanent contact to exchange information, lend voucher or type specimens to each other or help each other in many ways. Most people only see the exhibitions and do not know that behind the exhibition walls some of the world's largest and most important research institutes (mostly on biodiversity research) are hidden.

Some years ago, our museum has been elected among the world's ten best museums (as the only nature museum) by an international committee, based on the fact that we presented modern didactics and, unlike most other museums), at the same time perfectly preserved the historical ambiente.

If you want to learn more, here are two links:
    The museum in general
    http://www.nhm-wien.ac.at/d/engvorschau.html

or my part of the work there
    http://www.nhm-wien.ac.at/nhm/2Zoo/coleoptera/staffschill.html

2) The skulls are not on display. These cabinets are not part of the public exhibition, although at times there are special guided tours behind the scenes which also include this place (especially at Halloween :smile: ).

3) Most of the skulls are of prehistoric origin (starting with the Neandertal era, so no modern graves have been defiled) and a lot of research work on human evolution is based on metric studies of the skulls. There was an extensive study as to the involvement of museum scientists and specimen acquisition during the Nazi time and any such dealings were clearly revealed and sorted out to a positive solution.

I hope I could shed some light on your doubts.

Cheers

12. What an excellent piece of work.

I have a feeling that I have just recognised my exwife and the old mother-in-law in cabinet number 2.

LOL Bob F