Skipper butterfly extreme closeup

I went out in the garden this evening, armed with my D200, Tamron SP 90 mm macro, and Kenko tubes, plus my pop-up diffuser.

I shot quite a few images. As usual, I got a lot of throw-away images where the focus was off.

I got a couple of real keepers, however. I especially like this one. I like the way the butterfly's tongue is curled up.

This is a full frame image, downsized for the web:
large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(click the image for a larger version with EXIF data)

Here's a crop of the same image:
large.jpg

(click the image for a BIG 100% crop with EXIF data)

Be sure to click on the second image to see it at full size. It's big, but it's worth it.

those are awesome
and.... this rig is cool:

99442654.YlTmGkpM.OnCamDiffuser.jpg

fabulous Duncan! This diffuser, does it work better/differently that the supplied snap-on flash/Sto-Fen?

lanthier,

Yes, the pop-up diffuser is much different than the Sto-Fen style, and is much better for macro. The Sto-Fen is intended for use inside, with white walls. It throws the light all around the room, so your light gets softened by bouncing off the walls. I doubt if a Sto-Fen would work well at all for macro.

The pop-up diffuser I use is specifically for macro. It creates a large light source (relative to the subject) very close to the subject, so it gives very soft light.

Regards,

Fantastic shot, Duncan. You're giving me something else to put on my want list (diffuser). My list just keeps growing rather than getting smaller(LOL).

These are very impressive. When you say you used extension tubes...do you use one, or two or all three at once? I'm just starting to use mine and would be interested in how others use these?

I used all 3 tubes

These are very impressive. When you say you used extension tubes...do you use one, or two or all three at once? I'm just starting to use mine and would be interested in how others use these?

I used all 3 for this shot. I don't think I had the lens at it's closest focus distance however. Using my Tamron with all 3 tubes AND at closest focus is REALLY hard. By my measurements, I get a little more than 2:1 magnification with all 3 Kenko tubes (68mm total extension) and at closest focus. That's very hard to use, especially handheld.

As I understand it, macro lenses work by moving the optics away from the camera as you focus closer, essentially like a built in extension. Thus using tubes and not focusing at closest focus is like using shorter tubes, or no tube and a closer focus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom