Skunk's-eye View

I came across this young skunk early one morning in Two Harbors, MN. The grass was wet and it was just getting light. He was busy rooting around in the grass and didn't seem to mind (thank goodness) that I was only 20-30 feet away kneeling in the wet grass.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cute pix. I love skunks. Been sprayed twice. Once crawling into a big hollow log after another critter. The range was about 12'' when he fired. Bitter cold and had to sleep in the feed shed.

Second shot is a good one. They’re not going to spray unless they feel threatened. I think their range is about 15 feet. Don’t be aggressive, stay back at least 20 feet and you should be fine, unless maybe something or someone else ticked it off a few minutes before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How cool...my luck I'd get blasted!
Thanks, Bobby. I didn't feel threatened from this one.
HA, +1...!

Brave photography, Aaron...! :biggrin: :cool:
Thanks, William.
cute little critter! And nicely captured!
Thank you, Dianne.
Cute pix. I love skunks. Been sprayed twice. Once crawling into a big hollow log after another critter. The range was about 12'' when he fired. Bitter cold and had to sleep in the feed shed.
Thanks. I have come across a few. Got chased by one once.
Second shot is a good one. They’re not going to spray unless they feel threatened. I think their range is about 15 feet. Don’t be aggressive, stay back at least 20 feet and you should be fine, unless maybe something or someone else ticked it off a few minutes before.
Thanks.

Good thing my golden is sleeping in the other room and isn't seeing the photos. He has been sprayed twick thinking the skunk is his friend that wants to play with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am told they make great pets once de-skunked per say.
I have only known one family to have one as a pet (back in the 1960s) and that particular individual was NOT a good pet. They are in the same family as ferrets so I would guess they could be similar.
Good thing my golden is sleeping in the other room and isn't seeing the photos. He has been sprayed twick thinking the skunk is his friend that wants to play with him.
Best to let sleeping dogs lie.
Thanks, Alex.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom