Skydive Arizona

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze2, Jul 22, 2007.

1. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  2. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    #2 is a little too close a crop for me, the rest are awesome though :D Neat camera helmets :)

3. very cool! I would love to attend one of those (from the ground)

4. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Very cool shots....I just don't get why someone would jump out of a perfectly good plane!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very colorful and very exciting.....but I have yet to find the logic in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane!!!:eek::eek: I am not a good airline traveler, but skydiving is too un-natural for a landlover like me.

6. Great representative shots, colourful! #4 would be my style. Interesting the number of jumpers without brainbuckets! :eek: What's the device on his chest in number 7?

7. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for you comments. Shot number two is right out of the camera, no additional cropping. Skydiving is a lot tougher to photograph than I expected. Since everyone leaves the airplane about the same time, it means they all land at about the same time. The landing zone is fairly large so you end up swinging the camera around wildly and zooming like crazy in an attempt to catch as many shots as you can. It's really cool, try it if you get the chance!

Sandi, I think that is an altimeter on his chest.

This isn't as crazy a group of people as I thought they would be. Safety is always stressed and you see lots of preparation before each jump. This is a TON of FUN to shoot because it's very fast, and very colorful. Here is a shot of my son after one of his jumps. I wanted him to be a pilot, but the only thing he likes about airplanes is jumping out! The focus is a little soft but it's his favorite shot.

8. Brings back memories Haze. On my 70th birthday I did my first and last free fall jump. It was pretty fun once the chute opened. Love your colorful pictures.

9. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I have always wanted to try that.

10. What I don't understand is why anyone would voluntarily jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nick :

Nothing like it. :biggrin: :eek: :rolleyes:

The real trick is to make sure you have a "perfectly good parachute" ! :wink:

John P.

12. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Any person who asks that question clearly hasn't seen the airplanes that are typically used for skydiving. :wink:

I got my skydiving license back in college, but I haven't gotten any air for about 4 years now.

Those are some good shots. I can easily imagine that trying to capture skydivers as they land could be a challenge.

I'd really like to try a panning shot of an experienced jumper swooping me sometime.

13. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Gordon, I think it's GREAT that you took a jump on your 70th birthday! Was your whole family there to watch? What a thrill it must have been for everyone. My son is really trying hard to talk me into it, and I find myself slowly warming up to the idea. I told him I would jump if I could get my weight down to 185 pounds. Now he is watching MY diet!

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Great shots, though I agree with some, that plane would have to be on fire to get me out of it! If you go, avoid the Maxwell House parachute, it's good to the last drop! Sorry, can't help myself.....

15. I did this because my son was in the 82nd Airborne and was making his first jump at the same time. I went out at 12,000 feet and did a free fall for about 5,000 and then pulled the ripcord. I must admit that the free fall part of the jump was not my favorite as the wind is incredible at that speed. Loved the rest of the jump and my landing was very good.

Go for it Haze, it is one of those once in a lifetime experiences that you won't forget.

16. I thought it might be an altimeter but on the chest?? Maybe it flips up for reading. I would think a watch-type version would be more convenient.

Handsome young man - that's a great shot of him! Go for it, Dad - you can do it!!! Me? I'd only do a tandem jump (chicken!).

17. Ahhh, another hobby that I almost took up. I like the fellow on the tandem. He REALLY looks like he had a good time!

18. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    It doesn't flip up exactly, but it's mounted on a padded piece that makes it face upwards. It mounts on the chest strap of your rig, and requires you to look down to see it.

Many skydivers have moved to a wrist mounted altimeter, and helmet mounted audible altimeters, that give different beeps at pre-programmed heights, are also popular in conjunction with a physical altimeter.

19. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Were you on a tandem, or did you have AFF jumpmasters with you?