SkyDrive for backup?

My son is a relative newbie to the IT security field and he has told me horror stories of the glaring security holes the "pros" implemented. And these companies are in the same realm and category of what you say. So, I am not impressed enough with the claims these companies have about protecting my data.

There is a difference in the class of companies and just remember, for someone to call themselves a "pro"...all they needed was to get paid for it.

There are companies who do things and then there are companies that make things happen and are a leader in their fields. There are a lot of fly by night companies who offer off-site storage, bit-by-bit replication, etc. Not all are legit. I know I have dealt with plenty who cannot hold a candle to what they said the could do.

All along I had been saying what I believe is the best approach based on what I have done in large scale national and global companies. I tried and tried to break through a barrier and belief that cloud based data was not bad and your data isn't being scrubbed by reputable providers. I was also trying to show that only housing your data on your local machine and keeping a backup (local to your house) was a bad idea.

The suggestions and ideas are great and always welcome, just keep in mind there are many other ways to look at solutions. What works for one person doesn't work for another. And what I see from what was said, you are relying on "reputable" providers, which you can't guarantee will always be the case, even in Fortune 500 companies. It is all about the bottom line when the bean counters get involved. Good intentions and the best laid plan always get screwed up when the bottom line is the only goal.

Then, I get told to go get a worthless CompTIA certification...of course I am going to then lay my credentials on the table.

Why? What's the point of getting into a urinating contest on the internet? If in person and dropping the creds will put more food on the table, by all means, go for it.

That being said, nice passive aggressive dig at my sheepskin.

Really, no dig. I've been in the workforce way to long and have seen pretty much all dimensions of BS. I judge by results, not what a person says.

There is a difference in the class of companies and just remember, for someone to call themselves a "pro"...all they needed was to get paid for it.

There are companies who do things and then there are companies that make things happen and are a leader in their fields. There are a lot of fly by night companies who offer off-site storage, bit-by-bit replication, etc. Not all are legit. I know I have dealt with plenty who cannot hold a candle to what they said the could do.

And that is the whole point. Once the SEND key is pressed your data is out there and you nor I have a guarantee of who is storing the data, a reputable company or a reputable company unknowingly subbing out to a fly by night. And all of us have seen really good companies go down the crapper and do some terrible things when they were circling the porcelain bowl.

I rely on my own strategies because they haven't failed me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom