Skylum Luminar 4

Real Name
Chris
Anyone here use the Skylum products? I’ve ordered luminar 4 as a supplement to my normal workflow. I was mostly drawn into the portrait retouching section but was wondering if anyone else had ordered or worked with previous versions.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Check the news articles. I've read in some FB groups that it is riddle with bugs and performance issues and the company has admitted as much with a vow to address this. Many are saying they released too soon.

I am using Luminar 3 and there were some glitches in the beginning when that was released, too, so I waited a while before going ahead with installing and using it. I haven't had any problems with it, but then again I don't do much sophisticated editing -- usually just adjusting exposure if needed, cropping if needed, resizing and of course conversion from RAW to jpg.

Been using Luminar since 2016 but will probably be giving L4 a miss.
Will trial it out first and decide but so far not tempted by the headline Ai stuff since it seems all the perennial issues with workflow basics have once again been ignored. These however might not be an issue for someone using it as a plugin in LR for instance as this basically seems to be their target user.

Real Name
Chris
Well I am a couple days into using it now and so far I’d say it has both its strengths and weaknesses. The AI portion (which I had no interest in at all) is actually the best part about the software. The auto masking it does when you enhance details is superb. In fact, all the masking it does thus far has been dang near perfect. When I tried the sky replacement I chose an image that was traditionally difficult with a model, hair, and many trees. One click... not a single shred of fringe noticeable and it was clean as a whistle. Truly impressive. The rest of the software is lacking polish. It is slow.... painfully slow. Even on my super duper computer lol.

... stick with L3 or move to L4.
Form what I can garner, you might want to run both L3 and L4 if going for L4. Basically consider L4 to be a totally different program that just happens to share the same name and is made by the same outfit. It might even be that the best combination is to run L4 as a plugin from L3!

Real Name
Maurie Hill
I’ve used Luminar for about 4 years as an adjunct to LR and PS, there’s some really cool stuff that it can do for my predominantly landscape work that Adobe simply doesn’t do. To me L4 is simply an upgrade on the older versions. I’ve been using for a few days now and the awesome masking ability blows me away when I think back over all those years of editing pixel by pixel to tidy up a bad sky .....

i also use Skylum’s Aurora HDR program occasionally, which can make dull images really pop, but you can very easily end up with comic results if you’re not super careful.

Both of these programs glitch occasionally, but then so does Photoshop.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
A very simple, but precise, Erase (as opposed to replace); one-click polarizer; AI; sunbursts; foliage enhancer... just for starters.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
"one-click polarizer" - Adobe doesn't have this because it is impossible.
Sure you can deepen the sky to simulate some of the effect but a real polarizer can remove reflections in shop windows or on the surface of a lake.

A very simple, but precise, Erase (as opposed to replace); one-click polarizer; AI; sunbursts; foliage enhancer... just for starters.
The Erase tool is one of my favorite features of Luminar 3! MUCH easier and faster than cloning-out something, although there are times when one does need to use the clone/stamp tool instead. The Erase tool is great for those little spots or odd objects that appear in the image that you don't want in there.

Form what I can garner, you might want to run both L3 and L4 if going for L4. Basically consider L4 to be a totally different program that just happens to share the same name and is made by the same outfit. It might even be that the best combination is to run L4 as a plugin from L3!
Thanks, Dayo! For now I'll just stick to L3 and in a month or two after things have settled down and they've perhaps done a software update or two I'll take another look at L4.... I hadn't realized how totally different the new program is......

Real Name
Maurie Hill
"one-click polarizer" - Adobe doesn't have this because it is impossible.
Sure you can deepen the sky to simulate some of the effect but a real polarizer can remove reflections in shop windows or on the surface of a lake.
Quite right. I should have said ‘polarizer effect’.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
The Erase tool is one of my favorite features of Luminar 3! MUCH easier and faster than cloning-out something, although there are times when one does need to use the clone/stamp tool instead. The Erase tool is great for those little spots or odd objects that appear in the image that you don't want in there.
Agreed. However for really complicated erasures, I still go back to Skylum’s legacy product Snapheal which allows more comprehensive tool adjustments

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom