Skype has been sold

I've heard of Skype. Don't know what it is, though. Guess I'll have to google it, now.

This should be interesting.

I'm thinking it's going to have more impact on the XBox, Kinect, and WindowsPhone7.

Hmmm...

I talk less than an hour/month on the phone, and I don't have a web cam. Oh, and I don't use Windows. I guess Skype is not for me.

Skype is the best thing since sliced bread, showing my age there aren't I.

It is amazing, that after 5 years, the video quality has improved, and it is still free, I doubt the free will last much longer

Tom, why do you think Microsoft will take away the free stuff? Microsoft has tons of things that are free - Windows Live, SkyDrive, WebApps, Security Essentials, etc.

I see this as a great purchase for Microsoft - now Skype has a lot more R&D money to make their service even better...

This may be the beginning of another step towards a video phone service for everyone. If I was Ma Bell, I would be worried.
Kind of scary that this didn't even dent the "walking around" money Miscrosoft had on hand.

Tom, why do you think Microsoft will take away the free stuff? Microsoft has tons of things that are free - Windows Live, SkyDrive, WebApps, Security Essentials, etc.

I see this as a great purchase for Microsoft - now Skype has a lot more R&D money to make their service even better...

Heck, I don't know, maybe it's because I have seen a lot of companies bought up by big fish and then ruined. There are a a list of them that Microsoft, has bought and then discarded/ruined, not that they will do that that Skype, it would appear that it is too popular for that that happen, but then they could charge for the service, which seems likely a they had a lot of debt.
And there is really no free lunch in life, although Skype is as close as one can get to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope they don't rename it to $kype. Let's hope it remains a free S2S service. It's great for letting me hear all those funny accents. :biggrin:

We use it to talk to and see our out of the country and out of town friends and relatives. It's on my Mac and my wife's pc. It is free and easy and I sure hope that Microsoft does not change anything----Jerry

When microsoft buys all goes crap. This is plain fact when ask form me...
ps. oops i must learn again how dollar sign is typed...

B

Bill N

Microsoft has bought Skype, is there anyway this can be a good thing for all of us happy Skype users??:confused:

I don't see why it would be a bad thing. I use MS Ice for panos, free. I use MS essentials, this too is free. I'm trying to think of any programs from apple that i use that are free, can't think of any. :biggrin:

I don't see why it would be a bad thing. I use MS Ice for panos, free. I use MS essentials, this too is free. I'm trying to think of any programs from apple that i use that are free, can't think of any. :biggrin:

I too use microsoft freware, but it does not require gaggels of servers and power to operate.

To date the Skype pro has ben funding things, but according to the news this AM, Skype had a lot of debt. maybe the debt load was a big reason to sell.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom