Slides to digi files

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by bvonarx, May 4, 2007.

1. I have beaucoup slides that I want to have scanned. Apart from the economics of buying a slide scanner and doing it myself, can anyone recommend a reputable lab that can do the job?

Many thanks,
    Brooks

2. Most places charge $3 to $5 per slide for a basic scan - the economics may force you to buy a scanner.

I've received good e-6 services (although no scanning) from

http://www.theslideprinter.com/scanning-services.htm

They will send free mailers, and ship back for free on orders over $50.

Sean

3. Depending how many "beaucoup" is, the cost of a simple flatbed with film/negative/slide capability may work for you. From personal experience, I can say that an EPSON 4180 would do a decent job. However, it will do only scan 4 slides per operation as it is not automated, so that may be an impediment. Also, time involved will depend on resolution selected, so that's another consideration to weigh...

4. What do you want them scanned for? Do you simply want to create a digital catalog or do you want to make large prints from them all?

I just lay mine on the light table and shoot them with my D2X and 60mm micro... and get some pretty darned good results.

original.

100% crop:
    original.

5. Woody,

Was your film in slide mounts when you shot them, and did you have much trouble with dust/debris with this method?

Sean

6. The slide was mounted and I cleaned it much like I would if I were going to scan it in a dedicated slide scanner, and just like if you scanned it with a scanner there are adjustments that must be made to get an optimal print.

If you're just trying to create a digital catalog, you can whip through piles of slides in no time compared to using a dedicated scanner.

7. Nick7

Nick7

May 12, 2006
    England
    I've used a Coolscan IV to scan literally thousands of negatives as well as a hundred or so slides, and tedious is not the word! The better scanners can batch scan slides - about 40 at a time I think - which would make a big difference. If I were to scan just slides, I'd look at Czechman01's method or possibly photographing a projected image of them. From what I have read, the adapters for fitting on the camera's lens can be a bit poor.

Good luck!