1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

slideshow of my niece's bout with pneumonia

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by marn, Sep 8, 2008.

1. marn

marn

Mar 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    i documented my niece's succesfull battle with pneumonia.

she almost succumbed to it on a sunday morning but the doctors brought her back.

i took a couple pictures each day and started a blog for our friends and family to check her status until she was discharged.

i hope that as our family gets older, we can always put our lives into perspective by looking back and being thankful.

for techies i used a D300 and D40X and the following lenses.

sigma 30 f/1.4, nikon 50mm f/1.4, tamron 17-50 f/2.8, sigma 10-20.

http://www.groovydrift.com/slideshows/katslideshowfinals/

2. Beautiful but sad , with a happy ending slideshow, that will forever be cherished by the family. It's heart breaking to see a child go through this. I wish your Niece the very best .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  3. Very very powerful!! I love your choice of music. How old is Katarina? So glad she's home!!

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    wow.

5. as a pediatrician.... i find this even more moving than most
    i am thankful that she has made it through this horrible event

pneumonia CAN be deadly in children..... folks forget that
    i know that YOUR family won't soon forget

that you made this INCREDIBLE blog.... as a way for YOU to cope with this stressful situation.... and how it aided your family through this most difficult time.... INCREDIBLE

this is awesome
    sorry you "HAD" to make it
    glad you did

6. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    So very powerful! My younger brother just survived a bout with bacterial meningitis. I empathize with you and your family and all the visits to the hospital.

7. This was wonderful -- very touching! As I was viewing it and it gradually became obvious that she was feeling better and recovering, a smile came to my face.....I'm very glad that this has a happy ending!

Loved the music! The first piece is tantalizingly familiar and I can't put a name to it but I know I have it on my iPod..... the second selection was just perfect for the situation! I hadn't heard it before but I immediately did a Google; is it "O Wondrous Love" ?

ETA: Finally realized that the first piece is Enya and after a bit of poking around was able to identify it: "Watermark." Beautiful!

8. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    poor baby, I couldn't finish the slideshow. it was too touching especially with the tubes and stuff. I have 3 myself and I can't help but to feel helpless when they are sick.

9. Thanks to the Lord she's back again.

10. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Rolf

11. Wonderful. Thanks for such a wonderful sideshow and I'm glad to see that she is doing well!

12. Very poignant. I empathize with your niece, as a youngster I too was in the hospital for over a month with Bronchial pneumonia. I don't remember most of it. What doesn't kill us will make us stronger. It has been over 40 years and I have not been seriously sick since then. I am overjoyed that Katarina is recovering.

13. marn

marn

Mar 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  14. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

Amazing, very powerful story told with pictures. I couldn't help but care for her throughout. I'm very glad she's doing well now!

Nicely done.

15. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Very emotional and moving.......thank you for sharing such a personal family event such as this, I am truly glad this worked out for the better, and glad she is doing well, and back home. Thank you again!

16. As a pharmacist I agree with Greg. I admire wonders of the marvels of modern drug therapy.

17. I am glad she pulled through and that now she is back home. I have 5 grandchildren and unfortunately one of them with muscular dystrophy and it breaks my heart every time I see him fall due to the lack of strong muscles in his legs. Right now he is taking an experimental medicine and I hope it will help him and the rest of so many of these children suffering his same disease.
    Thank you for sharing this story.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

18. mysticknot

mysticknot Guest

Amazing. God Bless Katarina. Just looking at the pictures, your niece was definitely surrounded by love. She is very blessed to be in the family she's in. I have two girls and your slideshow just reminds me of their vulnerability and of course a parents' nightmare. Good luck.

19. The beginning of the slideshow is very sad. I'm sure glad she pulled through.. She will like to go over those pictures as she gets older................
    I have two grand daughter and I pray I don't have to go through that.

20. This was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. May God bless her for the rest of her life. Thank you for sharing it with me.

On her wedding day, if you show this, there will not be enough tissue in the whole hotel to wipe away all the tears that will be shed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.