Slightly different view of Manhattan

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by BostonRott, Jul 17, 2008.

1. We have some HIGHLY talented NYC photographers here, and I VERY much enjoy looking through your threads. Yesterday, while flying home from Charlotte (NC), we had a stop in La Guardia. Thought of y'all while grabbing this shot. :smile:

I felt very unbalanced upending the D3 in my one hand, and holding onto 3mos old James in my lap with the other. :rolleyes: Shot with D3 and 50mm. Cropped to remove a bit of wing and window. :smile:

100312583.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. wow, gretchen
    that is AWESOME
    you must have had a very NON-SCRATCHED window.... well done

3. Thanks Greg!

Actually, the window was a mess. I was shooting at an angle to the window and wasn't sure how much mess I was going to include (or not) via DOF selection. I guess I managed to avoid it b/c of the f/4. (ISO 200, 1/4000th at f/4)

4. Gretchen... That is a really cool photo.

5. Thank you Jana! :smile:

I would love to get down there some day to walk around and shoot, the guys here on the forum have really inspired me with their beautiful shots!

6. Very nice view. I've seen it several times flying back to LaGuardia.

I would crop a little bit more of the left side due to the vignetting I see of the airplane window.

7. Superb view, never seen this, great shot.

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    great shot Gretchen

enjoy your upcoming Maine trip
    I miss that cool air..........

oh BTW Manhattan..is an:tongue: LOL

9. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice capture....I'm usually sitting on the wrong side of the plane and can't capture much.

10. Very nice!!!! I'll have to remember to have the camera out next time I fly. :D

Well done! So clean... which is usually unheard of on airplane windows..

11. Thanks Dez. :smile: I agree with you on the crop, probably won't get it done though, trying to pack to head out to Maine for a week. :smile:

I always think that pilots have a great place in life, all the gorgeous, and uncommon, views they get of things. :smile:

Just fixed it, thanks!! :biggrin: We head out tomorrow, can't wait to get up there and leave this humidity behind. :smile:

Hubby said I'd get to see it, but we didn't see it on the way down from Boston. On the way home, the pilot was running through what would be where on the trip in, and I thought "oh bummer, Statue of Liberty is on the other side." However, this turned out to be a nice treat!

I was kinda sneaking it out of my "stowed" carry on that was under the seat. :tongue:

12. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Wonderful image.

13. Thank you David! :smile:

14. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    That is a beautiful photo. Almost makes me want to visit.

15. Hahahaa! Well, the guys here who keep posting their fantastic NYC shots had this born & bred Bahstonian looking at train/hotel pricing for a weekend visit. :biggrin:

16. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very cool image. The Big Apple is awaiting your return :)

17. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Beautiful shot Gretchen, but especially so for an 'out of a plane window' picture.

18. Panda51

Panda51

Jun 26, 2008
    Paris
    wow I like it very much.
    Why has it always been night or bad weather every time I should have had the opportunity to take a nice pic from the plane!!???:mad:

19. cool shot! Agree should crop just a we bit more