Slimbridge - one from today.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Nov 25, 2005.

1. I realise I have not posted anything for a few days. I was at Slimbridge today, we had snow :eek: and the electicity was off for a major overhaul of the local sub-station so my wife and I did not really have much choice if we wanted to keep warm:smile:
    I was going to post some goose, swan and duck pictures but I rather liked this one which I took at a feeding station we have in the woods at Slimbridge.

It is a Blue Tit by the way.
    D1H 80-400VR at 400mm, twentieth second at f6.3, bean bag for support, luckily the bird stayed still for a moment:smile:

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Great detail in the shot Dave. Snow :eek:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Feels like I can reach in and touch him, Dave !!

Great work :wink:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a pretty little birdie...

Nice job. Great detail, sharp as a tack.
    Good work.

5. Nice clarity in this shot, Dave!!

6. Love it great detail and the color is spot on

7. Thanks all for the comments.
    Mike, getting the colours right was a bit of a problem as I started shooting yesterday without checking my cameras settings. I noticed something funny early on when the shutter speeds seemed awfully short:frown: - I sorted that out by setting the sensor speed back from 1600 to 200 and went merrily on my way. It was only when I got back home that I spotted I had the White Balance set to incandecent -3 instead of Auto :mad: well the pictures were more:confused: actually. Not a disaster as I shoot RAW but it does mean a bit of work in Nikon Capture to get the colours right. The reason for this c*** up was that we had had friends round for dinner in the week and one had a brand new lens that I played with on my camera and had set those strange settings to shoot indoors, then had a couple of bottles of wine:smile: and forgotten all about it. Let this be a lesson.....

8. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Nice details,colourful bird.

9. And who says we need a D2X anyway? Wonderful detailed shot and colors are spot on!

10. Gee, I thought I was the only one....:redface: , more likely, Dave, you and I are the only ones to admit it :smile: . Truly a reason to shoot in raw.

Very nice shot, pretty little bird, and what the heck is this Snow bit? I fly to London next Saturday and am expecting to get to Malvern, Gloucester, Coventry and Cambridge as well. It looks like hiring a car may not be a wise thing to do, eh?

11. We had a band of snow across Wales and the South West of England, it caused chaos in Cornwall and West Wales and got as far as Bristol but did not fall on Gloucester which is 30 miles from Bristol. Most of it is gone now so you will be alright:smile: Just remember we drive on the correct side of the road here:confused: :eek:

12. Very good capture of a very quick bird! Well done, Dave. Cute little fellow, isn't he?

13. They are great little birds, I have a few come to the feeder in my garden every day but this one was taken from a hide so close that I was right at the minimum focusing distance of my 80-400 VR

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very, very nice Dave. :smile: