1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Slime mould

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry S., Aug 26, 2008.

1. During our mushroom excursion 2 weeks ago I found this tiny (10mm ø) slime mould - Fuligo septica.

It was extremely dark in this forest so I had to crank up the D3 to ISO 3200 and support the cam on the rucksack because I still only got 1/80 at f/11. Thanks Nikon. Lens was the AFS 60 Mikro.

BTW - no NR was used in this image.

original.

Cheers

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Amazing! Nice job finding and then capturing this one!

3. tektite

tektite

Jan 23, 2006
    SE NH
    Nice shot! Seen some that are orange in our area. Can they move (slowly)?

Gary

4. Thanks Karen and Gary!

It is said they can move but I had not enough time to stay and watch :biggrin:

Cheers

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Amazingly low noise for IS0 3200. Beautiful colour. We call it Troll-butter. The reason is obvious. :smile:

6. Nice shot of an interesting organism. I still remember how many pages of notes I took in a lecture describing the complex reproductive cycle of these.

Cheers,

Larry

7. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    I'm sure I saw a very similar looking alien on an episode of Star Trek once.

Nice shot Harry

8. Interesting, in German we call it Witch-butter, but that common name is also used for an other species.

Cheers

9. Thanks Larry!
    Yes, that can be confusing, went through the same routine at university.

BTW - my wife spent a year in Winipeg (postdoc at Manitoba University) and I visited her for 2 weeks. We had a very nice time there.

Cheers

10. Thanks. You are right, I also remember something like that :smile:.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.