1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Slow Pitch Softball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dave, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Taken with D3 and 80-200 f/2.8. Now, if I buy a full frame camera I'll have to have the 300 f/2.8 lens...man the 200 on full frame is not very far at all! :biggrin:

I was having a hard time with the dust creating a haze on the players, and then when I lightened it up and bumped up the contrast to get rid of the haze the reds got blown...I tried my best in post to save, but probably didn't do too well.

1) Almost Ball on Bat
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3) a ball on bat shot
    [​IMG]

4) another ball on bat shot
    [​IMG]

5) And lastly, yours truly about to crush the softball
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  2. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Nice shots. I really like the intensity in the eyes in image #4. Was that ball he creamed ever found? hehe :eek: 

3. nice series of images
    i think the REDS in these images can be seen from THE MOON....
    nice to see these folks out hitting
    well done

and you are surely right that 200mm on a D3 doesn't get you too far at all... :redface:

4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks...actually yes the ball was found as it was just a line drive. :biggrin:

Thanks Greg...yes I was having trouble with the reds...I liked when we had grey shirts personally...and yes, 200mm on a FF camera is not very far at all.

5. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    I don't know if my problem is the same as you're experiencing, but...FWIW...

often times after I adjust the Levels slider in PSE, the skin tones then have a bit too much red. I then use the Hue/Saturation, select Red, then reduce the saturation (of the red channel) a bit. Probably a crude approach, but to my noob eyes, it appears to help.

Peet, you're spending too much time with that D3. I bet you're hooked by now and won't be able to return it. :biggrin:

6. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I've done that before Dennis with adjusting just the red channel, but then the whole slot looks cool to me...I dunno. I think I just need to get in place so the sun is behind me, but it's hard to shoot from anywhere else when you're playing. :biggrin:

Eh, I like the D3 but I'm not a fan of it's size. I think the D700 will be perfect for me though, as it will give me a choice of either going full frame when I need it (low light, etc) or I can go for more reach with the D300 if it's in the middle of the day and the ISO won't have to go above 1600.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.