1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Slow shutter speed bird practice

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Frits, Jul 9, 2008.

1. A very dull and dark morning here. A good one to practice slow shutter speed with the 400 - works pretty well (this one at 1/25 sec!).

I know I will need this when I will go hunting for night herons and green herons in small wooded streams.

D2x, Nikkor AF-S 400mm f/2.8

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Very nice! Great skill in such slow speed.

3. Humanoid

Humanoid

Apr 24, 2006
    Thats amazing without VR at that speed. Excellent technique no more practice for you!

Ray

4. nice shot for that slow of shutter - tripod I assume?

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    That's what I was thinking when I saw this image. Surely not handheld.

6. My trusty Gitzo 1325 legs with its new (for me) Jobu gimbal head.

7. Frits,
    beautiful shot, surely MLU was used? I got to shoot the new 400 2.8vr last week, boy o boy that was a tough one to handhold, you have wonderful galleries on pbase, here is the shot I took last week.
    Kevin P.
    http://www.pbase.com/kpyle/image/99357705/original

8. Thank you Kevin!
    Your shot is gorgeous - too bad the little buggers like to hide behind branches :smile:.
    No MLU for this shot, these guys are too fast and furious for that. Just basic low shutter speed techniques (squeeeeze the shutter, stabilize the rig while weighting it down with hand/arm, stop breathing for a few seconds when you shoot etc.).

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Your technique is impressive - nice capture!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.