Slow to save edited photo

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by JustEd, Aug 13, 2008.

1. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I am using the trial version of NX2 and am experiencing problem when saving a photo in the original raw form with all my edits. It was not that fast in NX which I own, but seems to take forever on NX2 sometimes. Am using a iMAC G5 with one giggling-byte of RAM (ok not the best).

Any other MAC users see this happening?

2. jgatscher

jgatscher

Jul 29, 2008
    Nashville
    When I started to use NX2 I also had slow save problems with NEF saves.

I then followed the sticky instructions on how to speed things up using a windows PC and that has made a big speed improvement. Specifically, by installing the new Visual C++ libraries as instructed made a big difference for me. The sticky is called INTERIM Capture NX Tutorial 1: Preparing Your Windows Computer REVISED - FASTER SPEED.

Oops....now I notice you are talking about a Mac....sorry, my issue was on a PC

Jeff

3. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Hummm....

I tried your suggestions and it is not clear to me that the problem has gone away. Sometimes it saves ok, sometimes takes a long time. I have reset the cache to the defaults and that may be helping.

Before this save problem started I noticed that NX/NX2 will sometimes self terminate if I am using the selection brush at 100% over large areas. But now I usually just save frequently or use other methods of changing areas. Possibly a tech support call is in order both the iMAC and CNX should be under warranty (extended obviously for the iMAC).

4. cosilver

cosilver Guest

Depending on what else you have open, or running in the background, 1GB may not be enough memory. Think of your computer as an opera house. Your memory is the size of the stage, your hard drive is the size of your backstage area where all your props are stored and kept until they're needed. Your processor is your crew (man power).

Regardless of how much man power your have (processor), you can only fit so much on your stage at one time (RAM), so with a small stage, your processor will have to make more trips backstage (to your HD) to retrieve and place more items to and fro your backstage and stage (HD and RAM). So, the bigger the stage you have to work with (more RAM), the more your computer can readily access different props as needed already on stage (your RAM), and the faster your applications will run, because they don't have to be going back and forth to your hard drive as often. This is especially true with large resource hoarding applications (such as most image editing software).

5. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes

I have considered upping the memory to 2 gigs, think that is all the G5 will take. Since the upgrading to one of the Intel iMAC's looks so attractive, I have held off doing so but may have to now.

6. I have switched from NC 4.x to NX2 and made a funny observation.

NC4 saved a modified NEF almost instantly and took forever for a NEF to "save as" .jgp.

Now in NX2 (on my new PC, though) it is the other way round - well almost. While it takes about 4-5 sec. to save a NEF on itself, it takes less than a second to "save as" .jpg.

Cheers

7. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the observation Harry and taking the time to post it. I have presumed that NX/NX2 had to apply all the adjustments to the NEF file and that is what took so long. Anyway, guess I am on the low end of memory so will be browsing "Newegg" for a deal.

8. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Depending on your original NEF setting. Lossless Compression is computationally more demanding than JPEG compression. Try to save a NEF file which originally was uncompressed - it's pretty fast.

regards, Andy

9. Good point, Andy - now that you mention it, I am sure that is the reason.

Thanks

10. Not to mention when it updates the NEF file it is also essentially compressing and saving a JPEG at the same time, updating the full size embedded preview of the image within the NEF.

11. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Not a bump

For some reason the problem has gone away. I did the cache cleaning, reset settings to default, and ran my routine maintenance utilities. It made no difference at first, but in the last couple of days NX2 is sving as fast as NX did...problem gone!!! Color me happily confused :confused::rolleyes: