SLRGear.com Review of the Nikon 18-105VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Big Daddy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. AdamC

AdamC Guest

Decisions, decisions

That review has me re-considering getting the kit lens with my D90 instead of an 18-200 for a walkaround lens. I'm still mulling over options for the tele end (70-300VR, used 80-200 2.8, used MF prime).:confused: 

2. Sorry I scrolled down but didn't see your thread. :frown:

3. Very nice! Nikon is getting very good at creating killer DX kit lenses!

4. I have the 70-300VR lens and it's a great inexpensive lens. Very sharp.

5. nht800

nht800

Aug 26, 2008
    Missouri, USA
    I don;t know if it's sharper or equal to 16-85 or not; however, I'm very happy with my 16-85.

6. THe VR is simpler compared to the others. Only offers on/off, no active or normal settings. The active setting does a great job when used in a moving vehicle like a car or boat.

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    i had the oportunity to use a friends 16-85 VR and really liked it, i am def considering buying just the lense for this when its released!

8. This is the data I have been waiting for, and this now looks like the lens I have been waiting for. It covers the right focal length range, is much sharper than the 18-200, has VR, and is somewhat smaller and lighter.

Looks like the D90 kit is on my short list. :smile:

9. This should come as no surprise...

...to those who followed this thread a week or so ago. It and the 18-135 are almost identical in design, and these two and the 16-85 are clearly superior in sharpness, particularly edge-to-edge, over previous kit lenses.

The 18-200mm, while a nice lens with a wonderful walkaround range, is simply not as sharp overall.

For an extra $300 in kit form, seems to me this lens is worth every penny and unless you are already set with a good walkaround, definitely worth going for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.