Small and smaller birds.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by kramp, Apr 23, 2005.

1. I thought I better post something here so I don't get known as the guy who just takes pictures of bugs. ( Not that there is anything wrong with that. )

Here are a few of my favorites.

Here is my crawl along the ground and sneak up to them shot.

Oregon Junco.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chestnut Backed Chickadee.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Song Sparrow.
    [​IMG]

Rufous Hummingbird.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin

2. Of course, the last one has always been a favorite of mine, Martin. Tell us how you managed to get this one, please!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Very nice series of shots Martin. Your last image is a killer.

4. For my Humming bird techniques check out the article I wrote over at poty.

http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/hummingbird/

And for that picture specifically I think the reason I get some different angles is that I use auto focus hand held and that allows be to get the pictures when the birds are out of position for the setup.

A lot of people will use a tripod and manual focus setting up on a point by the feeder but I find you get pretty generic pictures that way.

The pp on that picture was a bit of a rescue but I saw something that I liked in the angle so I did a rotated crop and repaired a wing tip that was cut off. Worked out nicely.

Martin

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Thanks for the comments Virginia, Gordon and Paul.

Paul:

I haven't done to much bigger things yet, I thought I would start small and work my way up.

There are some bigger birds in the area like Bald Eagles and Great Blue Herons. The gbh is in my bad books right now since it ate most of the goldfish out of my small pond and all I got out of it was one bad picture when he was hanging in the area.

I want to work on the Bald eagle this spring since I can see the nest from my front yard and they stop by the pond across the street when there are baby ducks in there all the time :( but I would need a blind so I can hide myself.

I want to learn landscapes also, hopefully this summer I will try them out.

Martin

7. WOW!! Martin your shots are excellent. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the last two!! :D :D :D :D

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Martin,

All I can say is WOW!! Fantastic series of shots. The Cafe has its share of great photog's, and you definitely are right there with the best.

Great shots!! Just more examples for me to try to emulate. ;-)

Frank

9. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    these are great. Gotta love the last one

10. I'm blown away by these, esp the last one - that is without a doubt the best bird shot I've ever seen!

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I guesss they have said it all. I sure can't do it.

Fabulous stuff Martin.

Last one is awesome.

The second one is unusual looking. Looks like the head of one bird and the body of a sparrow like bird.

Just really great.

12. Incredible series Martin, luv the last two, then again really like them all!!!!!!! Beautifully done, best series Ive seen in a while.

13. Thanks for the nice comments I really appreciate it.

Martin

14. WOW great series but that last one is special what a fantastic shot